Sucking up dust after rooms taken back to brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I'm trying to work out how to clean up after we've had a lot of dust created from going back to brick and lathe and plaster removed. A friend of mine mentioned that you might be able to hire a fan collector with a HEPA filter attached, but I've spoken to a few hire companies and no-one seems to know anything about it. Does anyone know if these are effective and if so, what I should be asking to hire.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Just sweep up what you can then use a Henry without a bag for the rest. Have to shake the filter out a bit each time you empty it.

Or get a builders canister wet and dry vac.

Screwfix sell a budget brand "Titan" which have a 2 year guarantee. The larger ones are better value than the small cheap one because they include one cartridge filter, and some of them have a power-tool socket which is very handy for dust extraction when you are using a sander or saw.

I would use the big paper bags as well as the cartridge filter, so it clogs slower with plaster dust and is cleaner to empty. The cartridge you can shake or brush clean, and if necessary eventually, wash it in the sink (it is waterproof and can be used for sucking up water)

I have seen Makita dust extractors but they cost hundreds of pounds.

Wet-mop or sponge after vacuuming.

Yes, sweep up first. A soft nylon brush is better for dust than a stiff builders broom. Use a shovel before you sweep.

Pop your face mask on and get sweeping - that's what I did... my ceiling voids were full of coal dust - Eugh! I kept the windows wide open when I brought the ceilings down and most of the dust went out the window! :)

Sponsored Links
Can you get a spray bottle and fill it with water? Spray a light mist of water over the dust before sweeping - should help it from going everywhere a bit better

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back