Junction box

It is a good idea to leave a TINY bit of copper showing on the wire when connecting to a JB terminal.

As you mention, it does make it easier to get more wires in.

It's handy as you put them in if the end of the copper just slightly sticks out of the end of terminal, as you KNOW it's fully in the terminal and not trapped on the insulation.

I hate the idea of using a 30 amp junction box for 1.0 mm2 conductors.

Sponsored Links
It is a good idea to leave a TINY bit of copper showing on the wire when connecting to a JB terminal. ... As you mention, it does make it easier to get more wires in.
I think it's probably pretty essential if there are a lot of them. The insulation obviously holds the conductors significantly apart - so if there are several and one runs the insulation right up to the terminal, some extremely tight radius bends in the conductors will be created when one tightens the screw.
It's handy as you put them in if the end of the copper just slightly sticks out of the end of terminal, as you KNOW it's fully in the terminal and not trapped on the insulation.
I couldn't agree more, but have been 'told off' (which I ignore) for doing that in my time!
I hate the idea of using a 30 amp junction box for 1.0 mm2 conductors.
So do I, but you'd get a lot of them in :)

Kind Regards, John

I'm trying to imagine if 1.0 mm wires would 'slip the net' from a 30 amp junction box terminal.

They certainly would from a 30 amp connector block.

I'm trying to imagine if 1.0 mm wires would 'slip the net' from a 30 amp junction box terminal. ... They certainly would from a 30 amp connector block.
In either case, I would certainly want to see each and every one of them 'coming out of the other end' (going 'right through both sides' in the case of a connector block)! Of course, a more serious problem arises if some of the conductors are of very different sizes from one another - little ones can then remain loose even when the terminal seems to be 'well tightened'!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I'm trying to imagine if 1.0 mm wires would 'slip the net' from a 30 amp junction box terminal. ... They certainly would from a 30 amp connector block.
In either case, I would certainly want to see each and every one of them 'coming out of the other end' (going 'right through both sides' in the case of a connector block)! Of course, a more serious problem arises if some of the conductors are of very different sizes from one another - little ones can then remain loose even when the terminal seems to be 'well tightened'!

Kind Regards, John

I'm a very firm believer in doubling over the tiny wires.

That's what I usually do - but that doesn't always stop some 'popping' out for me, if there are lots of them!
XMS13CLAMPS_A-600x600.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back