How do I wire this electric cooker? (pics inside)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I recently took delivery of a Smeg SUK62CMX8 electric cooker and I'll be wiring it myself but I would like to get some advice on here as to the exact procedure because I'm fairly new to this. Here's a pic of the terminal on the cooker:

And based on this, I'm planning on wiring the live to the first slot, the neutral to the 5th and the earth to the 6th:

If anyone could describe exactly how I do this, that would be much appreciated, and please don't worry about being condescending -- the more detail the better. As I say, I'm inexperienced.

Sponsored Links
Basically the terminals allow the cooker to be used in places that have different electrical supplies than domestic UK.

As you have figured out, you can connect the live to terminal 1 (which is also linked to 2 and 3 using the metal jumper bars) The Neutral goes to terminal 5 (which is also linked to 4)

The earth is on the far right, next to terminal 5

The manufacturers instructions state 6mm2 cable be used and that "the supply should be fitted with an omnipolar (all poles. ie live and neutral) circuit breaker (isolator) with a contact opening gap equal to or greater than 3 mm, in an easily accessible position close to the appliance"

If you don't have it, you can download the instruction manual here

Thanks stem. I have the correct sort of cable (6mm T&E) and will make sure to insulate the earth, but I was wondering more about the procedure.

I.e., am I right in saying you just strip each wire so there's around 5mm showing, loosen the appropriate screws on the terminal, and then insert the wires directly underneath the screws before tightening them back and putting the cable grip on? And where exactly do you insert the wires -- from the front or underneath the block?

I've not done this before so I'm just trying to make sure I get all of the small details right.

Will need a little more than 5mm , 8-10 depending how large the clamp, place under to the left of screw so the screw turning pulls it in as apposed to pushing it out as it tightens.

Sponsored Links
the cable goes through that black thing below the terminal block, which is a cable clamp. The clamp must grip the outer cable sheath and not the individual cores.

I'm just about to do the wiring, but wanted to ask: does the neutral wire have to be left 20mm or so longer than the other wires? The manual seems to imply it does:

Okay, one last check if I may. This is how I stripped the wires. I hope it's okay:

It's hard to explain how I wired this cable to the cooker, but the screws visible from the front of the terminal block open up a gap between the two bits of metal visible in this image (i.e., the larger flat pieces and the smaller ones to the bottom left of them), so that's where I inserted the individual wires:

And this is how it looks now:

I'll be wiring the other end to the wall terminal tomorrow morning, but I think that parts the easiest, so I'm fairly certain I'll be okay with that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back