Ideas for Workshop Supply requested.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting out part of our old kitchen as a small workshop - somewhere put the tools, but also to sit down at a bench, have a small sink, and maybe a lathe or milling machine if I get lucky. Nothing so far which can't run on 13A sockets. I am sinking plenty of 13A sockets into the wall in preparation for the plasterers, and I'm happy with all that.

However there is a 32A cooker circuit available going right back to the CU, and as it seems a waste to rip it out, I have renewed the cable (6mm²) and want to have it available for any as yet unknown purpose, where the 13A sockets on a half of downstairs ring final might prove inadequate, for one reason or another. As I'm putting in wet underfloor heating it won't be so easy to access under the floor later.

So I want to chase the cable up the wall about 30cm, and then into a box, and then basically forget about until it is needed (if ever).

I have begun to realise that other than, say, a cooker control unit I can't picture how this circuit would get terminated. Looking at industrial sockets of 16A or more they seem not to be compatible with domestic back boxes.

So I'm looking for a constructive idea about how to terminate the cable, in such a way as to be useful in the future without hacking the walls again.

(I am of course aware that any equipment that may require this circuit may well need special permission, and any way I wouldn't want to put spikes or whatever onto our own supply as we have too much sensitive IT equipment around. I'm also aware of the notification requirements.)

Sponsored Links
Why not pop a mini consumer unit there (4 circuit, maybe). You'll then have a handy sub main and could easily pop in whatever MCB you might need for some unknown future tool/lathe/mig welder/engine hoist/aircon/space heater…..

If you had a box sunk in where the cooker control was. Then if you wanted a interlocked 32A ceefrom socket like this http://www.rselectricalsupplies.co....-xKkmb-Nui9wT5ZxyFSO96DgJjNxws9-lYaAmaD8P8HAQ

Then you could simply drill a 25mm hole in the back and fix it over the knockout box. Either with screws and plugs straight to the wall or penny washers and M3.5 bolts to the lugs in the box behind. Either way it needs to be secure enough to withstand the plug being pulled out which takes a bit more force than a standard 13A plug

Yes thanks guys. I think I can go somewhere with that. Need to think it through, but I can see ways forward now.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
However there is a 32A cooker circuit available going right back to the CU, and as it seems a waste to rip it out, I have renewed the cable (6mm²) and want to have it available for any as yet unknown purpose ...... So I want to chase the cable up the wall about 30cm, and then into a box, and then basically forget about until it is needed (if ever). .... I have begun to realise that other than, say, a cooker control unit I can't picture how this circuit would get terminated .... So I'm looking for a constructive idea about how to terminate the cable, in such a way as to be useful in the future without hacking the walls again.
In addition to the ideas already offered .... given the uncertainties about what this might be used for in the future, wouldn't the simplest solution be to just terminate the cable in a connector block in a back box behind a blank plate? If it were me, I think I'd be tempted to sink a deep double back-box, so that I could 'coil up' a reasonable amount of the cable within it - to maximise 'opportunities' in the future.

Kind Regards, John

I think that's pretty much what I'm going for. I think that Adam's idea is compatible with that. i.e. I use a single box and potentially mount a larger surface mount 16/32A socket over the top hiding the original hole and fixed to the wall. It works for me anyway, and then I canforget about it and move on with the plastering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back