what external disk drive

Sponsored Links
I use a Western Digital, which I'd recommend, but I wouldn't dream of using the supplied backup software.

I use a Western Digital, which I'd recommend, but I wouldn't dream of using the supplied backup software.

will give this a look, what's wrong with the software ?

It's crap!

Seriously, perhaps my experience is just a one-off, but I discovered that doing an incremental backup failed to back up at least one (modified) file. I need backup software that I can rely on, as I cannot possibly personally check every file that I change and back up.

If I were you, I'd google recommended backup software. The one I'm using now is the Windows Backup and Restore for initial backups, but I don't think it does incremental or differential backups, so for these I use AOMEI backup software, which is free.

Sponsored Links
In my personal experience, Western Digital Hard Drives have always been the most reliable and lasted the longest.

Any Hard Drive will fail at some point, but for me the WD ones have always shown some sort of "warning sign"**, that has allowed me enough time to make extra back ups on newer drives.

** The warning sign can either be because of some of the monitoring software they used to provide for drives, or just because of the way it would start to act up before it failed.

In my personal experience, Western Digital Hard Drives have always been the most reliable and lasted the longest.

Any Hard Drive will fail at some point, but for me the WD ones have always shown some sort of "warning sign"**, that has allowed me enough time to make extra back ups on newer drives.

** The warning sign can either be because of some of the monitoring software they used to provide for drives, or just because of the way it would start to act up before it failed.

Oh yes, the drive is very good.

Is there a particular Western Digital Hard Drive you would recommend ??

Yes. The one I have is a "My Passport Essential" 500GB. I've had this for a few years now, though, and I believe the same model is now available in 1TB and 2TB.

I've had a WD My Passport 1tb for a few years without any trouble, and recently got a 2tb one, so far problem free too. I mainly use them for movies etc.

Sponsored Links
Back