Drilling alluminium windows for trickle vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've taken my multipurpose tool to the window, marked out a template for the trickle vent and notice that 3mm in there is aluminum. Using a normal drill with metal bit does little damage so what are my options? I've never removed a window before, maybe I should in this case ? Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Use a new HSS jobber drill mate, and it will go through the aluminium perfectly.....it may even appreciate a squirt of WD40 too.
Are you intending to cut a slot, by the way, or is it just a hole that's giving you grief?
John :)

Fully aluminum window or pvc window with reinforcing?
Are u drilling the sash or the frame/

Use a new HSS jobber drill mate, and it will go through the aluminium perfectly.....it may even appreciate a squirt of WD40 too.
Are you intending to cut a slot, by the way, or is it just a hole that's giving you grief?

Was hoping for a slot but happy with neat holes all the way along. Will I need anything stronger than a normal drill for these bits ?

Sponsored Links

Was hoping for a slot but happy with neat holes all the way along. Will I need anything stronger than a normal drill for these bits ?

Any battery drill will handle this, no problem......just take great care with the marking out!

If you had gone for the sash's you could take them out and lay them down to drill.
Don't attempt to go all the way through from one side, You always end up on a bit of a skew.

Worth investing in some good quality bits. I normally start with a 4.8mm then a 6mm then a 10mm.

Gaz sorry I misread, I actually meant to say that it was the sash I was drilling and not the frame. The frame has two layers of 3mm aluminum either side and neither myself or a mate could not figure out how to safely take down the window, it is the best part of 1.5+ meters high and about 800mm or so wide, so a heavy thing. I had a good go trying to jigsaw out the strips on each side but try holding a jigsaw sideways above head level while standing at the top rung of a step ladder, VERY unstable.

After the second shocking kick from the blade I decided to go back to drilling individual holes along the strip starting with 6mm working to 10mm, boring and tiring on the arms but reliable. Luckily nobody has to see the state of the cut as it'll be covered by the plastic trickle vent mechanism. Given this job again I would not attempt it without first removing the window and lying it flat. I would then sit the drill in a stand with a jobber bit and then neatly punch holes through in a fraction of the time, OR attempt the jigsaw again where I'm in control of the cut. Thankfully blades are cheap enough and I didn't punch the glass (narrowly missed the second time)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back