exterior door canopy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi.... i'm starting to make a pitched roof canopy for my front door, and would like to know if I should anchor the gallows brackets to the brickwork joints or drill into the brick, also any tips anyone may have
cheers
mickcoulson

Sponsored Links
hi.... i'm starting to make a pitched roof canopy..........any tips anyone may have
Drilling into the brick will depend upon the type of brick and the strength of the joint. Perf' bricks can be a pain. Poor joints can be also. I would first consider how close to the edge of the door opening you intend setting the gallows before deciding whether to drill into the brick or the joint.
Don't make the canopy out of proportion or with a pitch that is overly steep or too shallow. Keep the roof simple.
We first fix the gallows. We then lay plywood across the gallows and then form the roof etc on top of the ply. This saves having to cut around the gallows after. We use a sheet of ply on the ceiling so that it can be (plastic) cladded easily. It is not always possible to do it this way, but on smaller canopies it does save a faff.
One of ours showing plastic shiplap....

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back