New masonry paint cracking problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

This wall was painted yesterday (Fri) over existing painted render, (weathershield) but overnight the paintwork has cracked severely over the entire gable wall. Can anyone tell me why this has happened? The builder who did this is coming back to finish off Monday and I don't know what I should say to him (other than I am very unhappy with the finish) so any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
What was the Weather like during the night, Freezing or near Freezing, Rain etc. ?
maybe caught by frost before it had cured.

The painting was finished around lunchtime and it was touch dry before dewfall. We were up early this morning when we noticed this cracking effect, it was 10 degrees and dry, no overnight frost, and it has not rained since yesterday.

Is it an old cottage - the black thing a wall straining tie ? maybe the existing paint was a strange old mixture :confused:

Sponsored Links
The last time we used Dulux weathershield, and the time before with no problems, we have lived here for 15 years, the cottage is about 150 years old and was rendered in the mid 90's

Is the crazing only around the Cast Iron Retaining Disc area or the complete wall ?

Its everywhere, probably around 90% of the entire gable wall - some cracks are even worse than the picture, you can actually get a thumbnail in some of them.

The problem is that the wall is friable and has sucked the water out of the paint. You should have used a stabalising solution or a watered down first coat. Good look fixing that one.

I'm not sure you can put it right without take it all off. Does it fall off when you scratch it?

The builder came back this morning and said the paint was stressed and applied another coat of masonry paint over the whole of the wall. Some of the surface was touch dry when he left with no sign of cracking. Two hours later when I took this picture (you can still see a drip that is wet) the cracking effect had reappeared.

Robbie: It was applied thickly in a single coat last Friday (bark effect) with a decorators roller.

Joe: The new paint on the wall is sound, it does not flake or fall off when scratched.

I'm with Robbie uk - the paint looks to have been applied far too thickly, and the suggestion that a 'bark effect' is what was being attempted :?: seems to confirm this. You can't just apply standard Weathershield masonry paint thickly and hope to get that kind of effect - you'd need a high build masonry paint.
If the existing paint was sound and uncontaminated with dirt or grease, and assuming there wasn't some kind of waterproofing sealer applied before painting which hadn't fully cured, it can only really be that it was too thickly applied that has caused the problem. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back