Wardrobe lighting query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Hopefully this isn't a silly question but forgive me if it is. A light has blown In my wardrobe, I'm not sure how to remove the light fitting to replace it.

The plastic surrounding the light looks cracked in places and I don't want to damage it further, it's part of a rental so I'm responsible for changing light bulbs buy land lord is for everything else.

Any idea how I can remove it and also what I need to buy to replace?

Sponsored Links
Any idea how I can remove it and also what I need to buy to replace?
In theory, (obviously with the power switched off) you just have to rotate the tube through 90 degrees, after which it should be possible to simply lift it out, it's pins coming through those slots in the top of the plastic surround - a little bit of gentle 'wiggling' might be required. I can't really see any damage in the photos, so can't really comment on whether the fitting is still viable. You then need to purchase the same as you have removed.

Kind Regards, John

Power off first.
Turn the tube until the pins line up with the two slots at either end.
Take it to Screwfix, B&Q or one of the sheds and get a similar tube,
However, if there are cracks in the plastic then it might be worthwhile replacing the whole unit.

Take it to Screwfix, B&Q or one of the sheds and get a similar tube,

Do take this advice, there are a number of 13W tubes around, but different makers have varying lengths. And it will not work if it is the wrong length.
The existing one is made by GE. You could order a replacement online from somewhere like THIS .

Sponsored Links
I suggest if the unit is damaged and fear that you may create further damage to the unit, that you contact the landlord for instruction on how to remove the tube without causing further damage.

I suggest if the unit is damaged and fear that you may create further damage to the unit, that you contact the landlord for instruction on how to remove the tube without causing further damage.
Good advice - although I have to say that, on the basis of what we can see in the photos, it looks to be in better condition than most of those I see that have been in service for a few years! Maybe we have been 'spared' photos of the damage!

Kind Regards, John

Looks in fair nick, by evidence of photos, but if I were unsure of how to remove the tube without increasing the risk of being held responsible for potential damaged being caused, I would speak to the landlord first (or second after asking the good folk of this forum) before replacing anything ;)

Looks in fair nick, by evidence of photos, but if I were unsure of how to remove the tube without increasing the risk of being held responsible for potential damaged being caused, I would speak to the landlord first (or second after asking the good folk of this forum) before replacing anything ;)
True, but if one carefully removes the tube in the proper way (as has been explained to OP), and doesn't do anything more than very gently 'wiggling' (if necessary), the chances of additional damage are probably minimal.

... and far be it from me to suggest, but if the fitting did fall apart whilst the tube were being removed, there are 'steps that could probably be taken' before reporting the 'broken fitting' to the landlord :)

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the swift replies everyone.

It doesn't appear to want to rotate, I've given it a few attempts but it's also hard to get much purchase on due to its position. However from what I can tell either it's stuck or doesn't rotate, should it be relatively easy to rotate?

I did intitally contact the agent whom manages for the land lord but they said they couldn't provide any aid in case it breaks. There are definite cracks to the plastic casing on both sides, we are moving out which is possibly why the agent isn't being quite as helpful as normal.

It doesn't appear to want to rotate, I've given it a few attempts but it's also hard to get much purchase on due to its position. However from what I can tell either it's stuck or doesn't rotate, should it be relatively easy to rotate?
They can sometimes get rather stuck, such that rotating them can be quite frightening! There's no doubt that it should rotate.
II did intitally contact the agent whom manages for the land lord but they said they couldn't provide any aid in case it breaks. There are definite cracks to the plastic casing on both sides, we are moving out which is possibly why the agent isn't being quite as helpful as normal.
If you're moving out, why not just leave it all as it is, blown tube and all? Presumably the worst that then happens is that they charge you for a new tube (if you are 'responsible for light bulbs').

Kind Regards, John

... and far be it from me to suggest, but if the fitting did fall apart whilst the tube were being removed, there are 'steps that could probably be taken' before reporting the 'broken fitting' to the landlord :)

Move out or take on unauthorised replacement?

Oh they are moving out, leave it then!

Move out or take on unauthorised replacement?
I was thinking more in terms of slipping the blown tube back in (if there were enough of the fitting left to do that!) and then reporting the broken fitting to the landlord.
Oh they are moving out, leave it then!
Quite so. As I said, I'm not really sure why the OP is bothering about this if he is about to move out!

Kind Regards, John

Quite so. As I said, I'm not really sure why the OP is bothering about this if he is about to move out!
He may not wish to leave any damage.
Indeed - but that desire is presumably best served by not doing something (changing the tube) which he fears may further damage the landlord's fitting? The simplest solution is surely to be totally honest - to say that the tube has recently died but that he is hesitant to try to replace it because of the cracks in the fitting? Indeed, it sounds as if he has already discussed this with the managing agent.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back