Potterton Kingfisher 2 convert to sealed system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to do convert an open vented system currently fitted with a Potterton Kingfisher 2?

If so, I know how to do it, and the risks involved. I just wanted to know if it's feasible as I know that there are certain parameters on sealing systems with older boilers regarding issues with pump overrun.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There is mention of operating that boiler on a sealed system in the installation instructions. It is not only a bypass that should be considered, it's overheat protection that is required, and the effect pressurising an old girl like that will have on the heat exchange gaskets.
Your call.

There was someone on a forum a few years ago who did that and a pipe burst and caused about £3500 of damage.

No one else would accept responsibility although there was no question that he had fitted the kit exactly as instructed.

The problem was caused by plastic pipes above the ceiling bursting when overheated.

Most would say avoid it as the boiler is pretty old and inefficient and a replacement would be a more sensible option.

But if it must be done then it would be sensible to ensure there is no plastic pipe.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I couldn't agree more that it's risky business and a new boiler would be way more efficient. However there is a major issue with fitting a new boiler as an acceptable flue termination is almost impossible. Client has asked me to advise. My advice will be either try everything to get new flue termination agreed with building manager or opt for Electric boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back