Hot water upgrade

You'd need an accumulator, pumping the mains at a rate above 12 litres per minute is illegal. 3 rain head showers at a time? Without having seen the spec of your rain head, I'd be allowing 25l/min each. That's 75l/min draw for three, and up to 100 l/min if you've got all four running at the same time. That's before you even start to take account of any appliances in the kitchen, like the dishwasher, running at the same time. You'll never get 75l/min out of your main. If you get 30l/min I'd be surprised.

Sponsored Links
I'd better start looking at accumulators then !!
Would it be 1 per cylinder or would 1 accumulator cope with both cylinders?

Dan, I thought the Kingfisher 2 could be pressurised?

If memory serves me you could buy a sealed system version (with an OH interrupter) or convert it with a small add on stat afterwards.

The kits are not available now. Iirc of was a brief moment of madness on the part of Poxyton.

Sponsored Links
I would always recommend a tank and booster pump rather than a ( very large ) accumulator.

However its a complete folly to buy unventeds when no one has bothered to measure the dynamic flow rate which we think is going to preclude direct mains supply.

Assume 100% occupation when planning hot water delivery. Rain showers will not be a sensible option.

For a domestic environment a good rule of thumb is stored water at 50 li plus 50 li per person. But that's only the volume to store!

You then need to have an adequate flow and pressure. All unventeds should normally be supplied with a MINIMUM of 22 mm pipe!

Tony

Hi Tony,

I understand that 22mm is preferable but we have no option, there is no 22mm available to the property. When we took over even the gas meter was of a domestic size, it took 3 years to convince the gas supplier that a larger meter was needed, just with the old potterton connected the pressure was inadequate and had been condemned by the engineer at the annual safety check.
So we have to find a way around the 15mm dilemma.

I think you'd need to buy the manufacturer's original SS kit to do it properly and make it comply, and that'll be obsolete.
nope, still available, is a bit pricey though :)
http://gasboilerspareparts.com/pott...arts/potterton-overheat-stat-kit-cf-60-907411

Agreed it should be scrapped, less that 65% efficiency etc but the OP is trying to offset initial HW changeover, though I'm sure there could be a better way of doing it. A proper review and a good design drawn up would do for starters methinks..
http://gasboilerspareparts.com/pott...arts/potterton-overheat-stat-kit-cf-60-907411

Looks like the kit is still available??

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back