Heating OK, but today no Hot water?

lol you are funny. :D The stat is set at 65c and the water is stone cold so turning it down is not going to help - well I don't think so.
no but i don't know that from here so leave it at 65.
The valve is on manual... is that not going to help?
take the valve off manual let it go back to auto.

you should have live to the cyl stat.
when stat calling for heat it will give live to the brown wire of the valve.
valve will open and give live to the orange of the valve.
boiler/pump will the run.

Sponsored Links
lol you are funny. :D The stat is set at 65c and the water is stone cold so turning it down is not going to help - well I don't think so.
no but i don't know that from here so leave it at 65.
The valve is on manual... is that not going to help?
take the valve off manual let it go back to auto.

you should have live to the cyl stat.
when stat calling for heat it will give live to the brown wire of the valve.
valve will open and give live to the orange of the valve.
boiler/pump will the run.

Ok one thing I noticed if you press the heating button the valve goes from manual to automatic. Now the other valve does not when you press the hot water button. This help? ( I have 2 valves just to make sure you captured that earlier)

I'll try your suggestion tomorrow as the valves are in the loft and I don't want to wake anyone up.

yes got that now you know the stats getting a call from programmer
now check if stat is sending live to the brown on valve and valve is
sending live to orange.

i'm with a faulty motor on the valve.

yes got that now you know the stats getting a call from programmer
now check if stat is sending live to the brown on valve and valve is
sending live to orange.

i'm with a faulty motor on the valve.

One thing I don't get is what's the purpose of the the manual override. Cool will check for you and report back tomorrow. Thanks for all your help.

Sponsored Links
This just gets worse!! Just come back from work and now the heating is not working as well as the water.

Pilot Light on and working OK.
All controls seem to be OK.

Crap crap. Anything I can check to address it?

sort the hw first you are half way there last night.

have you got a multi meter ?

sort the hw first you are half way there last night.

have you got a multi meter ?

Ok this is very interesting... I took apart both 2 way valves. Removed the motor, I had a quick look as to how the valve works by pushing the manual override. I pushed the inner piece all the way - it looks like it completes the circuit or something. Got someone to check if the boiler fired up and it did. So both valves are faulty - I don't think I'll be able to fix it and will have to replace and install both. If i let go the boiler would not start so I jammed it with a screwdriver on both. I can switch it off by the electric point so as a temp measure thats good.

So I'll have to drain the damn system again to replace and thats no easy task with my rads as I always have problems!!

Seco Services that sound about right?

Sparky, are you in Ireland?

If the motor valves are not moving that is often because they are not being power from the programmer.

Tony

Sparky, are you in Ireland?

If the motor valves are not moving that is often because they are not being power from the programmer.

Tony

Nope.

The motor on the heating valve was working fine you could see the sprocket working. On the water valve no action so probably dead motor or something. Either way by removing the motor and pushing the metal piece all the way in fires up the boiler and jamming is also working...

Anyone know why? Is that what the manual overide is meant to do or is it just knackered.

The motor on the heating valve was working fine you could see the sprocket working.

Perhaps YOU could see the sprocket moving but I could see nothing. I did not even know which part of the workld to look at!

The manual overide only opens the water valve!

It is not designed to activate the switch to bring on the boiler! ( Sometimes they do though ).

Tony

PS Why does sparky hide his location?

The motor on the heating valve was working fine you could see the sprocket working.

Perhaps YOU could see the sprocket moving but I could see nothing. I did not even know which part of the workld to look at!

The manual overide only opens the water valve!

It is not designed to activate the switch to bring on the boiler! ( Sometimes they do though ).

Tony

PS Why does sparky hide his location?

Well for sure if I push that metal all the way until it stops it activates the boiler for sure. I'll get some snaps uploaded for tomorrow.

Why is my location important. Catch you guys tomorrow.

If you say where you are then we can use Google Earth satelite photographs to zoom in and see you and have a close look at your motor valves!

I recommend getting a Gas Safe registered engineer to come and do the repairs. You don't appear to have sufficient knowledge of how the valves operate or to check electrical component supplies. When you are dealing with 230V leave it to the professionals, otherwise you risk death!

Incidentally, after reading your posts a potentially faulty Synchron motor(s) (which operate the valves which in turn hit the microswitches) seems a distinct possibility.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back