IDEAL Minimiser SE - "whines" & "sighs&qu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The boiler is 10 years old. The system was completely drained and flushed out and treated 2 years ago.

When running, the boiler (and all the pipes) have a whining noise. When the pump shuts down there is a sigh/moan noise through the whole system.

My plumber has had the water tested and found it to have a high copper content. He thinks the heat exchanger is corroded and that re-flushing the system may not fix the problem, or might only fix it for a short time.

Other siggestions ?

Sponsored Links
Unless I am mistaken the heat exchanger is made of aliminium on the minimiser so the copper would come from the pipework.

I dont expect the whine to be connected specifically with the boiler.

Has he checked it with him mechanical stethoscope?

tony

You're right it's aluminium. He said something about the copper in the water being from corrosion caused by flux ?

He hasn't tried a stethoscope although the sound (including the groan as the pump shuts down) does seem to be coming from the boiler when standing next to it.

Those statements are illogical!

If the system was really flushed out ( PROPERLY !!! ) then there would have been no flux residues or copper compounds in the system.

My best guess ( and its only that! ) is that the system was drained (!) and then a citric acid based cleanser was put in and that dissolved the copper oxide which naturally occurs in heating systems and the system was not drained and inhibited thereafter.

In other words a typical "half" job by only half honest person who could not be assed to complete the job once he had been paid!

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
I can't comment on the various chemistry theories being bandied about, but I have a minimiser H/E in my back garden awaiting further investigation after what sounds like a very similar symptom. The boiler was properly powerflushed but still refused to be quiet enough for the customer, so the boiler was replaced.
From first (cursory) inspection it looks like the waterways are about 8mm in diameter (small) and have what appear to be copper/brass helical strips down them to swirl the primary water (?). Lots of copper elsewhere in the pipework, no doubt, so it's not surprising you have copper in the water sample.

As far as I can tell the system was properly drained, cleaned and inhibited. Didn't watch the guy the whole time but he's been doing my central heating work for years and installed this boiler for me 10 years ago. I'm fairly confident that he's not been half-doing the work....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back