Windows XP Remove Guest Account

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am administrator, my guest account will not access the BT internet connection. All other accounts do.
I have created a new account guest2, which is ok, so I thought if I remove guest, I will rename guest2 to guest.

When reading the microsft help they advise against removal of guest & do not say how.
So any ideas how to find why guest cant connect through the BT internet.

Sponsored Links
You could try and make Guest a member of say.... Power Users Group.

If this works then you know it is a Security permissions problem.

Never used a Guest Account so not to sure how it is set up but usually all accounts have a profile. Try Deleting the profile C:\Document and Settings\Guest when logged in as a administrator - Note all documents and setting will be lost for that account. Reboot and login as Guest this will re-create the profile.

Guest is a built-in account for windows so not sure if this is possible.

Hope you're on a winner! :LOL:

Guest is a built in account with minimum access to the system. As a security precaution, it's prefereble to disable it as it closes a potential gateway into your system, although for the home user, this is a minimal risk.

It's best not to use this account and you can find details of how to disable it here

The best way to achieve your goal would be to set up a new account and explicitly apply your policies to it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for advise, Yes I think I will create a 'Guest New' account.

Back