How to wire up 2 outside lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to nit picking replys i have re-written this as i thought a forum was to help and not ridicule people,(FWL_Engineer and securespark) thank`s.
Hi, basically i have 2 out side lights to wire up they are fixed onto the wall and both wires lead into the roof and as yet are not connected to any thing.I also put a double switch in replace of a single ( the single switch is one of two which swiches the hall lights on, i am going to use the unused one for my out side switch )....What i am after is a easy to follow diagram or some one to explain how to wire up this, to make my out door light`s work and can i use a common live from the hall two way switch inside light which has a unused switch ready for me to wire up to.Thank You If You Can Help.

Sponsored Links
wombat said:
Due to nit picking replys i have re-written this as i thought a forum was to help and not ridicule people,(FWL_Engineer and securespark) thank`s.
Hi, basically i have 2 out side lights to wire up they are fixed onto the wall and both wires lead into the roof and as yet are not connected to any thing.I also put a double switch in replace of a single ( the single switch is one of two which swiches the hall lights on, i am going to use the unused one for my out side switch )....What i am after is a easy to follow diagram
wiring%20lights%20schematic%20diagram%203.gif

or some one to explain how to wire up this, to make my out door light`s work
Written explanation.

and can i use a common live from the hall two way switch inside light which has a unused switch ready for me to wire up to.
Yes, provided you also take the neutral for the lights from the same circuit as the hall light.

Not wishing to "nit pick" (BTW, you were shouting), is it safe to assume that you know all the fundamental stuff about turning off the electricity, using the same sized cable as the rest of your lighting circuit, and checking that it has sufficient capacity (bearing in mind the existing lighting load + the 2 new lights, where the cables run, and for what distance i.e. do any correction factors apply and is voltage drop OK), not bending the cable to a radius of less than 3 times it's effective diameter, marking the switched live conductor, sleeving the earth conductor and so on?

wiring of electrical things such as lights is not as easy as most people assume, there are drawings on this site of how its done if you search, but a drawing will not show you that you need to lift floor boards, not show you what cable size to use, not show you what that "other wire " is for

as you need to be "held by the hand" i would recomend that you get an electrician to do it for you.

I am bemused by your comment "Due to nit picking replys i have re-written this as i thought a forum was to help and not ridicule people,(FWL_Engineer and securespark) thank`s.

so are you not being sarcastic to FWL' and secure',
So is not sacasm a form of ridicule?, which is what you implied you were not going to do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back