Monobloc tap thingy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having just bought a new Monobloc tap thingy, I would like to know how I tighten up the 2x10mm connections deep inside the monobloc.
I have been out to swap the rigid pipe connections that came with the set for some nice flexible ones... http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101316&ts=70025&id=27936
.... but am i to assume that you just do them up hand-tight?

If not, what kind of tool do i need to get to the nuts which are almost inaccessible?

Thanks

PS This plumbing game is new to me and I wont be EVER 'doing another bathroom again' !!! :D

Sponsored Links
Yes, I realise that you connect them up before fitting the tap.

My question is.... how do you tighten them up? They're inaccessible inside the monobloc.

I know what you mean :idea: have seen those mono`s ........there is no spanner to fit :cry: You could tighten a rigid connector from outside .......so the makers assume that`s what will be done

Sponsored Links
On the screwfix pic you showed there is a rigid piece about 2 inches long with a hexagonal section at its end before the flexible bit. Can you not tighten this hex with a spanner. The o ring means that you do not need a huge force to seat these properly.

Alternatively use the original tails and tighten by hand or by gripping lightly with vicegrips. The few i've done by hand haven't leaked. Then use a 15mm to 15mm pushfit flexi to connect to pipework.

Attempting to tighten the flexible hoses using the hexagonal part of the hose just seems to knacker the braiding.

I think i'm just stuck with hoping that hand-tight is good enough.

PS This plumbing lark is rubbish by the way and people who design taps need to think of people like me who are sat looking at the tap at 11pm at night and wanting to scream! :D

I_aint_no_plumber said:
Attempting to tighten the flexible hoses using the hexagonal part of the hose just seems to knacker the braiding.

I think i'm just stuck with hoping that hand-tight is good enough.

PS This plumbing lark is rubbish by the way and people who design taps need to think of people like me who are sat looking at the tap at 11pm at night and wanting to scream! :D
Indeed, and they did once.......when the taps and bloody great Ocean Liners were Made in Britain ....Now it`s all from China :rolleyes:

PS This plumbing lark is rubbish by the way and people who design taps need to think of people like me who are sat looking at the tap at 11pm at night and wanting to scream!

Absolutely. We get used to having to fit rubbish.
The O rings on them hose things often sit in a tube, in a vague sort of way, so doing the thread up tight doesn't make much difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back