VMware Browser Appliance

Sponsored Links
I haven't tried that particular variant.

However i do use VMWare on this machine to run upto 6 Windows 2003 Servers in Windows on an XP host. It's very reliable, i wouldn't have thought it would take up much memory either so shouldn't slow the main system performance. Lets face it, it's free so got to be worth a try. The other advantage is that if it does get compromised you just copy the original image file back and restart VMWare.

This PC does start slowing down when i have 4\5+ VM's running but that's with Dual Xeon's and 4GB of memory and running an enterprise product for developing against.

Jon.

Ok, So have downloaded the necessary 'player' and 'Browser appliance' 286 MB...
I gather I shall be having the experience of running a virtual machine - Firefox within 'Ubuntu Linux' - On my real (sort of) machine...
oo-BOON-too "humanity towards others" (South African) - WikiP'

[url=http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/vmware/baintro.php]Mike Healan @ SpywareInfo [/url] said:
....Even if - and this is a HUGE "if" - something does manage to exploit Firefox AND installs some malware AND the malware actually works on Linux AND it manages to elevate its privileges to the "root" (administrator) level, IT DOESN'T MATTER.
The virtual machine and the real machine are two separate computers. If, against all odds, the Browser Appliance becomes infected with something, just delete it and start over with a fresh copy. Nothing that happens to the Browser Appliance will have any effect on your real computer......
Hmm, once upon a time Harland and Wolff reckoned a certain leviathan was 'practically unsinkable'.......

Overall this seems a reasonable method of gaining a little 'user' acquaintance with Linux..
:D

Sponsored Links
Back