Sony MD Walkman NH600

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a challenge for all you knowledgable people on this forum. I don't know if it is hard or software related but here goes.

I went to rip new music to a brand new 1GB minidisc yesterday afternoon and got the following error message from SonicStage on my PC:

"Cannot use this disc as an audio disc because it is initialised by other than SonicStage."

OK I thought, this is a brand new disc straight out of the packet, maybe it is faulty. Tried a disc with music on (I was listening to it 10 minutes before I tried to rip a new CD), still the same error message. Uninstalled and reinstalled the software provided with the player and still the same error message.

Any ideas as to what might have gone wrong?

Sponsored Links
Have you been able to record to minidiscs on the same machine and the same software before?

When you say minidisc, you mean the ones with a square plastic case permanently fixed around the silver disk, about 71mm square? You mentioned CD as well.

I use sony mindiscs and did not know you could record them via a PC.

pro-md_i.jpg

Yes - just as in your picture expect mine are 1GB (about 16hours music when full). I have about a dozen of these, all full and all working OK. I only ever buy Sony MDs for this machine. I was trying to record a CD to minidisc through the SonicStage software I've used since I bought the machine.

I don't think I can help, sorry. I use a Sony Minidisc recorder, but I don't think it will record more than 4 x 74 min and I can play them in the car or on a walkman.

OOI, what is the recorder you use?

Sponsored Links
My recorder/player is a Sony MD Walkman MZ-NH600. I paid £68 for it from Dixons in Terminal 3, Heathrow exactly 14 months ago. They were selling them off cheap as they were moving over to MP3 recorder/players.
I'm considering buying one of the latest 60GB Sony MP3s but with all this music on unreadable-by-software minidiscs ... :eek:

Take it as a hint to move over to mp3. ;)

Try navigating to the tracks with "my computer", then right click and select "open with" then select windows media player and see if your disc will play.

You are using a Hi Q disc which stores the music files as an atrac audio file. Each disc holds one gig of music but looks the same as an ordinary minidisc, in fact ordinary minidiscs will play ok. your music files will be stored on your pc and can be downloaded onto a new sony mp3 player

Cheers all. I'll try your recommendations. If they don't work, anyone want to buy a knackered HiMD player and 14 discs full of prog rock, classical, and easy listening stuff :D ?

Sponsored Links
Back