VARIOUS PLUMBING PROBLEMS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Where do I start? Here goes.

We have very poor cold water pressure in our kitchen. It never runs out but the pressure is very poor. Sometimes the cold water in the bathroom totally runs out and we can have no cold water in the bathroom for hours.
We have lead external water pipes that we are going to be changing soon to the plastic ones. One person we had out reckoned it could be the toby that is the problem and not the lead pipes. I phoned Scottish Water and asked them that if I go to the expense of replacing the lead pipes and it ends up that the toby(Scottish Waters responsibility) was at fault all the time whether they would compensate me for the expense of replacing the lead pipes and they said no. We live at the bottom of a hill and there was various water works in our area a few months ago if that is helpful in any way but the poor pressure has been with us for a few years now certainly.
We have a cold water tank in our loft that only seems to feed the boiler and that fills up very slowly, in fact we had a guy out looking at it and he disconnected the pipe that feeds into the tank in the loft and no water came out and he was expecting it to gush out.

So to sum up this problem we have poor pressure downstairs and water trickling in the tank upstairs.

Next problem. We have an ancient Baxi WM381RS CHB boiler which we are going to replace with a combi boiler as soon as the pressure problem is sorted. It works fine in as much that it fires up ok, will heat the radiators ok but does not heat the water in the hot water tank at all now. We have an immersor that we have been using for the last two weeks since this happened. If the boiler is working fine then could it be a valve at the boiler that is stopping it from heating the water?

Thanks for reading this and I hope someone can be helpful.

Elaine

Sponsored Links
You may have in your system a valve that selects heating or hot water, but you do not give much away. If you have had someone out, I'm surprised they didn't have a look at the various problems and tell you what the answer was. None of it is rocket science.

Can anybody translate what a "toby" is when its not a jug or a first name?

Tony

Sponsored Links
stopcock box outside boundary is commonly known as a toby, you of all people agile should know this as a member of a well known group of plumbers :LOL: :LOL: maybe the institutes elite are not aware of this but it is a common name for them in london,luton,stevenage,leeds,scotland and ireland,you should really get out more :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back