Help some frustrated nurses!!!!

Sponsored Links
Hi there! :p

Ok quick update. We had the pump fitted under our bath but we did not know that it was electric. The pum is currently has a lead which runs under the bathroom door into the airing cupboard where the hot tank is and is then plugged into an extension lead.

Any idea how we can get a plug installed into the bathroom or just near the door?

I could call an electrician but how much would this cost?

sexynurse said:
... The pump is currently has a lead which runs under the bathroom door into the airing cupboard where the hot tank is and is then plugged into an extension lead...

Jesus wept :cry:

Why not just get the National Grid to hang a 33kv cable into the bath water and save time?

Did the person who fitted that show signs of being mentally sub-normal? :rolleyes:

No, you cannot have a plug installed in the bathroom, nor near the door to enable you to use portable appliances inside.

Sponsored Links
He was a corgi plumber (what ever that is). Are they normally installed under the bath?

Is it common to have an electric socket in a bathroom?

He was a corgi plumber (what ever that is). Are they normally installed under the bath?

Is it common to have an electric socket in a bathroom?

A pump can be installed under the bath, in which case it should be where you can't get at it (through the panelling) without the use of tools such as a screwdriver.

It is not permitted to have a socket in a bathroom, except for special, isolated, low-current, bathroom-shaver-sockets. Neither is it permitted to place a socket just outside the door to enable appliances to be plugged in there and taken into the bathroom.

Ok now I might not be the brightest gal on the block when it comes to DIY but if it is permitted to have an electrical pump installed under the bath but cannot have a socket in the bathroom then how is it meant to work?

We have the pump installed under the bath so where should we plug this in?

You are supposed to have a permanent fused connection with no plug and socket that you could grasp in your wet slippery hands while leaning against the wet metal taps or pipes.

Foer example, an immersion heater and and electric cooker are fixed appliances that do not have plugs.

"sexynurse"]He was a corgi plumber (what ever that is). Are they normally installed under the bath?

Not usually, unless you kept him well fed... & gave him lots of beer..possibly portable T.V.

Look I'm totally not in a joking mood about this. It cost us over £400 to have this installed and if the possibility of one of us dying is at stake then I am not going to allow this.

You are supposed to have a permanent fused connection with no plug and socket that you could grasp in your wet slippery hands while leaning against the wet metal taps or pipes.

Foer example, an immersion heater and and electric cooker are fixed appliances that do not have plugs.

How can I get a permanaent fused connection? Would this be expensive? I just cannot trust any builder or electrician after what has happened here.

I would suggest you look for an electrician who is both:

1) A member of a self-certification scheme (ask him which one) who will give you a certificate when he finishes the job (as it is in a bathroom)

and

2) recommended by a friend or neighbour or other trustworthy local tradesman as being the sort of person they would be happy to have doing a job for them.

If there are sockets on a ring main nearby, he could probably run a fused spur, though an RCD spur would be preferable. Is the pump enclosed e,g, behind a screwed-down panel?

There are various websites run by some of the trade associations that list qualified electricians and say what kind of work they do.

(here is an example but there are several others http://www.niceic.org.uk/common/contractor_search.html

Whoever has installed the pump in the way you describe has been irresponsible and has probably broken the law (Building Regulations, part P?). Why not insist that the installer arranges to have an electrician complete the work? Failing that you should report them to Corgi (if they really are Corgi reg.) and perhaps your local council (Building Control).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back