Skimming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to skim some walls in my house, and have watched my brother demonstrate the finer points (couldn't convince him to do my whole house)...now, to recap as it has been some time, can I get some good tips please!?

Stop me if i'm wrong but I think so long as you keep your mix quite wet, that gives you time to do a fair size wall before it goes off!? Then smooth 1st time and leave to go off some more, then milk (wet the wall) and smooth again, and possibly once more if needed...sound about right gents!? any other tips for me!?

Sponsored Links
Most important is get yourself a well worn-in trowel. Then prepare your background properly ie PVA if needed unless your skimming on plasterboard.

Cheers Mon Capitain! ;) I was gonna do a thin pva to seal, then a thicker pva and let it get tacky before skimming...sound about right? I have to confess, my trowel isn't terribly worn, but I have bent the edge slightly! :)

Sponsored Links
Seal the wall first with pva 5 parts water / 1 part pva.Leave to dry.Then pva a second coat with 3 parts pva and 1 part water.Let this go tacky then apply your 2 coats of skim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back