Vaillant and plume management

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
why are there no kits in the plumbcenter guide?

i take it that Vaillant do them?

Sponsored Links
Yeh, they're about £54 + VAT. Added to the £57 + for the standard horizontal flue, not to mention bends and extensions, you can see where they make their profits. Flue prices are a rip-off. That's why I like Keston boilers that just use 50mm uPVC waste pipe and fittings for flue and air ducts. You can fabricate long and complicated runs for next to nothing, easily taking condensate plumes out of harms way.

cheers - the 2006 Plumbcenter guide is obviously flawed!

Sponsored Links
yesterday I fitted an Alpha system boiler with plume kit to take gases out past gutter and straight up.

Might have been my ignorance but studying the Worcester and Vaillant websites I couldn't assure myself that the plume diverted flue could terminate vertically, which was important in this instance. Alpha clearly show that it can.

So because I am far too busy to phone manufacturers to make up for inadequacies of their brosures and websites, I plumbed for the Alpha.

The boler was larger and heavier than expected, and the casework and plastics are cheap looking compared to Worcester Vaillant Buderus, also there were a few leaks from internal parts on firing up, and the nuts require a great deal of thinking about how to get a grip and a turn on them, the pipework supplied is a complete Birmingham motorway network.

Plus points very quiet operation, plug in and play commissioning. Cyclone filter built in (I still snuck a boiler buddy into the old system's previous pump location).

Minus points. Plume accessory stand offs to maount on wall and around gutter are very pathetic in engineering and esthetics. I ended up using 10mm frame fixings to give sufficient support at the right distance to clear the standard plastic guttering. I ordered black plume kit and got white. There was mension of barr codes but non present. The guarantee form had references on the back with boxes presumably to tick which bore no relation to the 18s boiler I fitted so now I have to phone technical to make sure I have ticked the right boxes for the guarantee to be valid.

Good job you didn't pick a Halstead. Their parts would have cost about £250 to do what £50 worth of Gloworm plume diverter did for me.

Yes well I would never fit a Halstead as I am not a fit them only person, I am a local papatetic gas fitter who takes responsibility for the system. Since the day I was stung £50 for a pair of Thermisters off Halstead I've never considered them economic.

Used to fit only Vaillants and Halsteads. Plenty of trouble with the V's, not a peep out of the H's! Unless their owners find me apatetic!

ChrisR said:
Unless their owners find me apatetic!
Apatetic? So they can't see you lurking in the airing cupboard? Or did you mean apathetic?

Apatetic is what I meant, though I prefer undergrowth to airing cupboards. Maybe that should have been pathetic?

Now I have a vision of you walking around in camouflage gear. Are you a twitcher by any chance?

Here's an apatetic bird for you...

papuan_frogmouth.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back