Washing machine leaving oil/grease spots on clothes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Kenmore 90 series washing machine that is leaving grease/oil spots on clothes. It is most noticeable on dark clothes. It appears to be some kind of clear oil - it's not leaving black, grey, or rust colored marks.

It looks similar to the spotting than can sometimes occur with fabric softener, but I stopped using fabric softener months ago thinking that might be the problem.

Help! What can I do? I'm guessing there must be some kind of lubricant leaking into the washing machine. My husband doesn't seem to think that's possible and thinks I'm doing something to mess up the laundry. I've eliminated fabric softener and switched brands of detergents. This has been on ongoing problem for months - not just once or twice when we might have accidentally spilled something.

Sponsored Links
Might be an early sign of a failed bearing seal - next symptom will be a-grinding and a-bumping when the bearing fails.

How old is the machine?

Sponsored Links
Tricky decision, but have you seen how cheap washing machines are nowadays?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back