Combi / Tridon Electric Shower Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

I'm new here and this looks like a very knowledgeable forum so I thought I'd ask for some advice. Woman on my own, with patchy DIY knowledge gleened from the Internet only. Apologies for the long post but I understand the more detail I give the better.

I've inherited a Worcester Combi boiler and Triton Electric shower. Both have been working ok, although the shower is a bit weak for my liking. Recently replaced the kitchen when my electrician discovered that the boiler wasn't earthed (!). This has now been done but I have now discovered a problem with the shower - no idea if these two things are related but I though the background might help.

The shower had started to flow hot then cold (cycling). According to the Triton web site this could be because the "thermal cut-out" is being activated, or because the water is being used elsewhere (washing machine etc.). I've illiminated the latter, so I'm guessing it's the Thermal cut-out. Unless anyone else out there has any better knowledge than my initial internet ramblings...?

Diagnostics for fixing this according to Triton are to "Check that the Stop Tap is fully open" - I have no idea what/where the stop tap is, any suggestions gratefully received! Do they mean the stopc0ck? (the C word is often blocked on web pages these days!)

They give other suggestions on their web site, which I'm planning on trying. I live in a very hard-water area and as Triton suggest the problem could be due to limescale build up I'm thinking it might be the root of the problem.

Can anyone offer any thoughts and suggestions on how I may fix this problem myself? The new kitchen has wiped out my finances and this couldn't have come at a worse time for me!

Thanks in anticipation.
S.

Sponsored Links
Well the combi isn't connected to the shower, which works directly off the mains.
Stopcock it is - often under the sink but you can never find them sometimes.
Electric showers can block with limescale, and bits inside can go wrong. They aren't all that expensive so usually get renewed, because it's not v quick to descale them.

Thanks Chris, that's helpful - I know where the Stopcock is!

If going down the replacement route, how do I figure out what KW electric shower is right for me? I've sussed from this site that the bigger the KW the more power, but I don't know what other factors to take into account.

do you know what rating your current shower is?or what model may help-the rating you can go for is dependant on your electric supply-you may need to consult an electrician or sure some of the guys on here may be able to help

cheers

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice Hodge, I'll check the model number when I get in tonight. Unfortunately I didn't inherit the instructions when I moved in!

As promised, my current shower is the Triton T80i. Anyone got any suggestions...?

If I do need to replace it I'm on the hunt for a cost effective alternative as it's only got to last me 18 months or so until I update the bathroom! Recommendations gratefully received...

Thanks,
Selena

your local homebase will have a triton jade 8.5kw for £85,bottom right or rear entry with similar "footprint" on wall

cheers
hodge

Thank you all for all your help, I managed to replace the shower myself with minimal expense and no electrocution - what a result!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back