Vokera Compact 24 - Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I had a vokera Compact 24 installed in June 2003 and within the first year I had a Main Circuit Board replaced and some sort of valve replaced that was leaking. All covered under Vokera's 1 year warranty, but in fairness you shouldn't expect many problems within the first five years realistcally (Should you? !!)

Last week we stopped getting any heating or water from the unit, but the green light continued to flash, indicating no problems. The plumber opened the unit and it fired up, indicating a air pressure switch problem? He replaced this and it still refused to light, so the next test indicated another faulty circuit board. When he replaced this it still refused to light, so he looked further to find he'd put a pipe on the wrong way round on the air pressure switch? when he swapped it round it fired up. (This was last night) Within an hour the red light came on, which I reset and it worked fine. Today we have nothing, and every time you reset, the red light comes on.

Any thoughts? So far it's cost me £130 and I still have no heating or hot water, a 3 1/2 year old and a 7 month old and a miffed off wife.

HELP!!!!

Sponsored Links
Today we have nothing, and every time you reset, the red light comes on.
Does it do anything towards lighting? Does the fan come on?

Getting the rubber tubes backwards on the APS is often easy to do and wouldn't do any damage.
It could be that the fault wasn't really the air pressure detector but a lack of air pressure. The fan would start though.

I will assume that the red light is a failure to ignite lockout.

Common causes of that are flue assembly faults and sticking gas valves.

Both of these are really the province of CORGI engineers.

Boilers are fairly complex appliances and inevitably there will be the odd one which has a part fail during the warranty period but this is pretty rare and usually far less than 1%.

You have not mentioned the installer. Normally they are the first port of call if any problems arise with something they have fitted.

I hope this "plumber" is not charging you for parts he has changed which were not necessary. We call them "parts changers" because they cannot diagnose faults and just change things until it works.

Perhaps you really need a "boiler engineer"?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tips - The plumber returned today (yes he's an installer not just a repairer! When he'd shut the system up a wire had caught between two contacts, so it wouldn't fire up. He didn't charge me for this visit. Circuit board still working touch wood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back