Help me install a solid fuel range

orb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I wonder if anyone could give me advice about this and answer a few other questions about my heating system.
I'm a total novice about plumbing so forgive me.
It's getting cold over here in the west of Ireland so I'm keen to get warm. I'd love to just get a plumber in to sort me out but cannot afford that luxury.
So I need to learn and have a go myself.

I got this solid fuel Stanley range out the paper that I want to install in the kitchen.

The good news is that where I want to put the range there is currently a wood burning stove with a back boiler. We want to replace this with the range to provide us with a warm kitchen, cooking, hot water and to run the radiators around the house.
We also have an oil boiler that does the central heating but it's not very efficient and the cost of oil has gone crazy over here so the solid fuel range seems like a better way to go.

Now, the wood stove with the back boiler is all connected up. I can see a thermostat control and a pump so I'm thinking it will just be a case of removing the stove and fitting the range.
I've located the drain point for the system and am awear I need to drain the system before removing the stove.

My first question is about connections. Both the stove & the range have a top and bottom connection at the back. At the moment I cannot see what kind of connections the stove has but it looks like 28mm copper pipe going to and from it.

I have measured the connections on the back of the range & it looks like that will take the 28mm pipe.

Is this a standard type connection for these type of things?

As you probably know, these Stanley ranges are heavy. Where it is going to go is very tight. Now, I don't have any experience of bending & soldering pipes so I was wondering about the flexible attachments.
I saw these in a DIY shop the other day. I think they were made by plumb pro.
They were flexible silver about two foot long with a range of connections at each end. Would these be suitable?

My next question is the two connections. Obviously one is in, the other is out but does it matter which way? I was going to copy the stove, top to top of range, bottom to bottom.

Next question. All of the radiators downstairs are cold at the bottom. According to my book this is a build up of sludge. I've read you can get a chemical to shift it. Is this worth bothering with or is it best to remove the radiators and flush them out?

Also, the oil boiler seems to make banging noises when it has been on for a while. What could this be?

The pipes themselves seem to have a rushing sound, like water rushing through them. Is this normal? I have tried to bleed air from the radiators but there doesn't seem to be any.

Sorry for so many questions. If any one can give me any advice it's very appreciated.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
orb said:
Hi guys

My first question is about connections. Both the stove & the range have a top and bottom connection at the back. At the moment I cannot see what kind of connections the stove has but it looks like 28mm copper pipe going to and from it.

I have measured the connections on the back of the range & it looks like that will take the 28mm pipe.

Is this a standard type connection for these type of things?

It's a common size, but there might be different styles.

As you probably know, these Stanley ranges are heavy. Where it is going to go is very tight. Now, I don't have any experience of bending & soldering pipes so I was wondering about the flexible attachments.
I saw these in a DIY shop the other day. I think they were made by plumb pro.
They were flexible silver about two foot long with a range of connections at each end. Would these be suitable?

Definitely NOT!!!!

My next question is the two connections. Obviously one is in, the other is out but does it matter which way? I was going to copy the stove, top to top of range, bottom to bottom.

It does matter but what you suggest is reasonable.

Next question. All of the radiators downstairs are cold at the bottom. According to my book this is a build up of sludge. I've read you can get a chemical to shift it. Is this worth bothering with or is it best to remove the radiators and flush them out?

Remove and flush.

Also, the oil boiler seems to make banging noises when it has been on for a while. What could this be?

That's sluged up too.

The pipes themselves seem to have a rushing sound, like water rushing through them. Is this normal? I have tried to bleed air from the radiators but there doesn't seem to be any.

You could try turning the pump speed down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back