Solid fuel central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've just moved into a static caravan and it has Gas C/H I have disconnected the boiler and put a solid fuel stove in and connected the radiators to it. The problem is the rads are only hot on the bottom on all 6 rads. I have bled them all but still having the same problem.I've fitted a pump on the return. Any ideas.

Thanks.[/url]

Sponsored Links
Taking a wild guess here but I would say you have a big trapped air pocket in the solid fuel stove.

I am guessing the old gas central heating used a filler loop to fill the system up.

The first problem I would say is that the solid fuel stove probably isn't meant for an unvented system. Although I know a number of boat owners that do it but keep the system just at a low pressure.

You haven't mentioned it but the system must include an expansion vessel in the circuit as well as pressure gauge and pressure relief valve.

Open the connection at the flow of the solid fuel stove or add and air vent
to release the air at the stove.

Check also that the pump hasn't actually got an air lock as well by unscrewing top nut.

Good luck.

I have bled them again and the boiler, I do have a vented header tank in the system. There's another question do I put normal anti freeze in the system or is there a special anti freeze.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have bled them again and the boiler, I do have a vented header tank in the system. There's another question do I put normal anti freeze in the system or is there a special anti freeze.

Thanks.

FErnox Alphi-11, mono-propylene glycol. The usual stuff contains mono-ethylene glycol, which is toxic.

Probably the pump is sucking in air and pumping it into the rads; where is the feed and expansion tank located? It would be difficult to get much height above the radiators in a caravan.

The expansion tank is in where the combi boiler is high up and the feed
is below it half way and a shut off tap beteen feed and expansion tank.
so when I fill it up the water won't shoot out of the tank.

Personally I would bin the header tank and fit a vessel,gauge, blow off and loop as suggested. What number is the pump on? More than likely sucking in air as said. Also is the pump running?

The expansion tank is in where the combi boiler is high up and the feed is below it half way and a shut off tap beteen feed and expansion tank so when I fill it up the water won't shoot out of the tank.

I don't understand your description.

Solid fuel systems should always be open vented, with no valves that could isolate the cold feed & open vent pipes from the expansion tank. The water in the boiler will often boil in use; if the steam cannot escape, it can burst the boiler. Burst, as in shatter, explode, with boiling water showering the room and metal fragments embedded in the walls. People have been killed by such things. Most solid fuel boilers are not rated to operate under any kind of pressure.

I'm uncertain whether you know what you're doing with this system or whether you're aware of the risks you're exposing yourself and your family to, but would suggest you read up on the installation details on the internet.

Right it is on a open vent and the pump runs on 1 or 2 speed, Should I put a pressure relieve valve on the flow behind the fire so if the power ever failed it would open and relieve the pressure. On my narrowboat the heating from the fire is gravity fed with a open tank on it and works ok but in the caravan it got to go on a pump.

Personally I would bin the header tank and fit a vessel,gauge, blow off and loop as suggested. ?
are you a steam engine fitter :mrgreen: or a wheel tapper ;)

Hold the phone, so sorry it was late and I just seen the gas Ch and open vent. Didn't realise he was swapping for a stove. Worked a fair bit on steam in cholomendy BTW. ignore me.

On another note, is the stove new? Is it piped up correctly ? Is the pump pumping the correct way? Does it have a water spreader fitted in the return pipework at the boiler? Could be blocked

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back