CH pumping out heat non-stop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i'm new to the site and looking for help with my 4 yr old Potterton suprima 100L with Drayton wireless control system. The boiler and pump just keep on working it will not switch off, the room sta and the programmer has no effect at all. The only way to stop the system is to switch off the main. I,ve changed a new set of Drayton wireless unit but no help what so ever. Any suggestion will be grateful.

Sponsored Links
sounds like an electrical fault to me .. remove all external controls ie:room stat etc .. bypass them electrically ..then refit one at a time testing them for correct function

john

Sponsored Links
Hi 2face
Thanks for the reply, I've disconnected the room stat and programmer but the boiler+pump still running away happily.
The system has been newly installed about 3 yrs ago and worked perfectly until now. Strange!!!!!!

Perhaps you should listen to GordonGas.

The CH or HW zone valve stuck open is the most likely scenario.

If the thermostat had welded on you could turn the boiler off from the programmer, and if the programmer contacts had welded on you could turn off the boiler on the room stat. Similarly with the hot water circuit.

Each zone valve will (typically) have a grey and orange wire. If there is a valve seized or faulty the grey and orange will be permanently linked, causing the boiler (and pump, in the case of Suprima) to run continuously.

There is a possibility the boiler could have an internal PCB fault, disconnect the switched live connection and see if it still starts.

If none of this makes sense I suggest you call in a professional rather than electrocuting yourself.

NB: Most heating systems have been working alright before they go wrong. :LOL: So, common, not strange.

Went to a system only yesterday where both 2 port valves were stuck open. Thought they must be abnormal types at first!

I find in most cases the valve/mechanism is stuck, rather than just the switch. That, is easily found by moving the lever on the valve. It's under the wire on many, like Honeywell.

If the lever is sloppy when the power's off, the valve's stuck open and will hold the boiler on, regardless of programmer and room / cylinder stats.

2-port-lever-indicated.jpg

If the spindle below is free you need a new head, if it's seized you need a new valve.

It’s very interesting and I’ll look into these zone valves and see whether they are sloppy or free. Getting electricuted may be a posiblity. Its frustrating though. Thanks

Hi Thank you for all your help. I've fixed the system. I've replaced the zone valve and its working perfectly now! very grateful for everybody

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back