Grundfos central heating pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a Glow worm Space Saver boiler twinned with a Grundfos 15/50 pump. It seems as though the pump has packed up - the shaft isn't rotating and my central heating/hot water is broke.

I can see that the pump only costs £50 or so to replace, my question is how easy is it to replace myself? I haven't done much plumbing before, but if its just a case of taking one off and sticking the other on I would be tempted to have a go... would I need to drain the system beforehand?

Any help would be great

Thanks
Matt

Sponsored Links
""" but if its just a case of taking one off and sticking the other on I would be tempted to have a go... would I need to drain the system beforehand?"""

I suppose in simple terms thats all that is involved!

You do not have to drain the system but if you dont you may get a little wet.

Tony

Biggest problem you are likely to have is getting pump valves off.

If you are changing like for like, then you could just remove pump head from base using the four allen bolts in the corners. Use the gasket from the new pump, of course.....

dont isolate the boiler to do this .. drain the system/ swop the pump if possible .. if the valves are completely stuck swop the head as above .. good luck

the reason i say dont isolate the boiler is once shut the valves THEY fall to bits and leak .. BE WARNED !

Sponsored Links
just a suggestion but if you are going to drain the system is it not worth changing the pump valves as well, ( probably knackered anyway). Then you wouldn't have to separate the pump and pump valves, only separate were the pump valves join to the 22m pipe which is a smaller nut, must be easier to turn?

if that makes any sense ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back