Wall Tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've not done tiling in large amounts before. I am attempting a whole room and floor. The question is do i need to leave any form of gap at the ceiling or floor join to allow for any wall tile expansion etc. Its a bathroom so will be hot/cold and damp.

Also, the ceiling is getting re-plastered/artexed. Do i need to wait for this to be done before laying the wall tiles, or can the tiles be layed up to the existing ceiling and then the top edges covered with the new slightly lower ceiling level? Would that be ok

Hope that all made sense.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
dGray said:
I've not done tiling in large amounts before. I am attempting a whole room and floor. The question is do i need to leave any form of gap at the ceiling or floor join to allow for any wall tile expansion etc. Its a bathroom so will be hot/cold and damp.
Just leave the same gap (top and bottom) as you leave between the rest of the tiles and grout both.

Also, the ceiling is getting re-plastered/artexed. Do i need to wait for this to be done before laying the wall tiles, or can the tiles be layed up to the existing ceiling and then the top edges covered with the new slightly lower ceiling level? Would that be ok
No, wait until your ceiling is done. If you decide to take down the tiles in future, you'll disturb the ceiling.

Hope that all made sense.
Thanks

Get the cieling done first !!!!! then tile it and you wont get any expansion in the room with ceramic tiles !!! just make sure you plan it first a little time planning your tiles out is where alot of people go wrong !!! DONT JUST SLAP THEM ON !!!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back