Gas installation queries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'd like some advice on gas going to my property. I don't currently use gas but I have capped pipes which are under my kitchen unit. A company called morrisons (contracted from bristol council) renewed the pipework by inserting plastic into the old metal gas piping in my road. Because I didn't use gas I'm not sure whether I still have a gas supply because I don't belive they re-newed my pipe. I know where the old pipe is located outside so I could dig down to it but my question is who would I contact to get a gas connection again? Would I need a gas meter fitted and could I have this put outside in a white box and then have the connection brought in through the wall? Once it is in I would want it capped off until I get a corgi man to connect it. So i'm just looking at getting the connection and knowing it is live before I proceed with central heating. This would basically remove the need to the old capped pipe which is old and located very awkwardly. I would really like a gas connection but I'm not sure who to speak to and whether this is chargeable or they connect you free of charge similiar to what Bt do with phone lines.

Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry about the long post! :)

Just to add that I don't plan on doing anything with the gas myself I will have it done professionally and just use it! i know nothing about gas so wouldn't go near it.

Sponsored Links
Would it be national grid or would a corgi registered gas installer be able to re-connect a capped gas pipe?

Sponsored Links
Don't bother with the meter, it'll be a lot cheaper in the long run. Unfortunately a corgi fitter won't supply you, but you can probably get a Pole, he can get the plastic from b and q, and should be able to tea it into that pipe which has now been lined with plastic after all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back