painting pebbledashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have small area of pebble dashing to paint - around 3ft x 4ft where a window has been blocked in.
Can I use masonry paint directly on the pebble dashing or should I fix it first with something like diluted unibond. The rest of the pebble dashing around the house was painted white some years ago.

Sponsored Links
Cue advert from Powerpainter! :evil:

First...dont bother with the PVA...

When you say Pebbledash do you mean actual round pebbles/stones...or what is more commonly know as white spar or spar dashing?

No it is not actually pebbles. What I mean by pebble dashing is a layer of rendering on the wall with small stones of varying sizes spead haphazardly around. I was thinking of pva to seal the stones in.

I wouldnt bother with the pva. most masonry paints these days are pva based anyway (water based ones anyway) so you'd only be doubling up, besides the paint is more likely to hold on the small stones as it is more viscous. I'd have thought it was doubtful wether pva has the mechanical strength as an adhesive to hold any stones larger than a grain of sand.

Sponsored Links
ben67 said:
No it is not actually pebbles. What I mean by pebble dashing is a layer of rendering on the wall with small stones of varying sizes spead haphazardly around. I was thinking of pva to seal the stones in.
DO NOT use PVA for sealing external surfaces. I know they do it on DIY Shows on the Telly but go back and see the state of the surface 5 years later, then you will know what i am talking about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back