Preparing plyboard base for tiling. Help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced a low level WC with a close-coupled WC and now wish to tile the wall behind the WC cistern area. The wall is made from 18mm plyboard and covered with a reasonably thick paper. I have some questions that I would appreciate some advice on?

1) What is the best way to remove the paper from the plyboard? I imagine that it would be unwise to use a heat gun as it would be likely to cause the wood to swell? Should I dampen the paper? Or could I use a sander?

2) Once the paper is removed what steps do I need to take to prepare the plyboard for tiling? Is it necessary to use PVA for what should be a dry area?

3) In order that I could get access to run a new water supply pipe at a lower level to the WC I have had to cut a hole in the plyboard of approximately 9 inches square. Can I supply a 9mm plyboard panel to fit this hole or should it be 18mm? If I can, is it possible to glue it into place using Gripfill whilst being held by a couple of batons until the glue is set?

Thanks very much for any help.

Sponsored Links
Please, please, please help :cry: . Not that I am an unctuous, ingratiating brown-nose toady or anything, but I really could do with some advice on this. Thanks again. :(

calm down fella

1: warm water and scape away.

2:pva wont harm it let it dry but try to use a latex based adhesive(movment in wood)

3: screw fix batton to rear of hole through existing ply then screw the 18mm ply to the batten so u have a flush finish,

hope this helps

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice, Tonyg.

Had a couple of Budvars then followed your 3 steps and now got a decently tiled wall. Cheers :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back