Me and my heating yet again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

My heating system is still trying its best to break me and nearly winning.

I have had a noisey heating system and was advised to change the pump.
I fitted a grundfos pump this summer and it appeared to quiet down. But it was to no avail.

The boiler is a Potterton Prima ( 11 years old) type and its an open vented system. The boiler kettles but reasonably quietly but poses no problem. The heating knocks but i tracked it down to the pipe which exits the hot water jacket in the airing cupboard. I assume it goes directly into the boiler???
It constantly makes a knock, knock, knock noise, which wakes you up in the morning. It does not appear to be caused by the pipes hitting anything as it does not change when you try to shake the pipe.

It sounds like the noise MAYBE resonating from the boiler up the pipe??

I have bled all the radiators and there appears to be no air in the system, and the noise happens when either the DCH or HW is on or both together.

Any help would be greatfully received as when it wakes the missus up the headache starts :LOL:

Many thanks

James

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back