thermostatic shower - supply water too hot ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I\\\'ve just installed a new thermostatic unit from homebase, and I\\\'ve got an issue with the temp.

Replacing an existing shower, about 1m head on hot and cold so not a great flow rate. Old shower was very difficult to adjust between two hot and too cold.

Ok, the shower will run cold, but as soon as I adjust to temp above 10C, and let some hot in, then it starts to get hot, and the thermo cuts out the supply. The temp on the dial is high, and you can\\\'t turn it down because the handle is stiff. If you wait for 15 mins, then you can turn the temp handle down, and start again.

Our hot water temp is very high, and gets higher in the winter as there is not thermostatic on the hot water tank when the CH is on.

Any ideas ? I think the hot water is just too hot for the thermovalue to handle.

I\\\'ve got values on the new supply so I\\\'m going to try to restrict the hot pressure but that might not work. Should I look at adding a variable pump to the system to improve the overall pressure ?

Sponsored Links
Are the pipes the correct way round?

You'll find a thermostatic shower won't mix correctly if the hot a cold supplies are reversed.

Maybe your previous shower had it's hot and cold the correct way but your new shower needs to be intstalled the other way.

As you look at it, the hot is usually on the left.

Pretty sure they are , but I'll check the plumbing again.

datamile said:
Our hot water temp is very high, and gets higher in the winter as there is not thermostatic on the hot water tank when the CH is on.

?
I know what is above is not the problem, but why is there not a thermostat on the hot tank when you have central heating?. Just wondering

Sponsored Links
Not idea on the tank... Early big 70's house with large iron boiler from that period. Heats the tank water to the boiler temp if you have the CH on all the time.

- On the pipes, they are the round the right way if I check the temp of pipes.

Its a triton antares if that helps.

Tried to restrict the hot, but that just means it takes long for the hot water to come through and then thermo cutoff.

Are the temp mixer suppose to get stiff when they can't be turned down , or is that a symptom of the hot water ?

I've just had a brand new shower installed, fed off a mains pressurised system, with a thermostatic control.

There appears to be no fine adjustment between hot and cold - it is all or nothing. I've also noticed that hot and cold is reversed.

From looking at this, it appears the problem is caused by the hot and cold being the wrong way round. WOuld you agree?

Is this a stupid mistake that an experienced plumber should not make? I need to know how mad to get with my builders!!

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back