'capping off' radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Open vented, fully pumped, double feed indirect cylinder.

I need to cap off a small rad to a cloakroom, but the homeowner wants the 'drops' left, incase they decide to have a radiator put back in when they sell. The drops back to the 22mm from the mid position are probably 3-4 meters. I dont really want to cap them as air may get stuck in the deadlegs. Is it ok to just loop the F and R (10mm)?

Sponsored Links
bster said:
I dont really want to cap them as air may get stuck in the deadlegs.
quote]

its just the equivelant of turning both valves off. wouldnt think twice about that.

Although dead legs are best avoided on gas or domestic water they do little harm in the case you mention.
There are 2 sensible ways around it and one cheat
1 drain and cap both ends
2 Drain and fit 2 isolation valves and either loop them or just cap them for future use
3 Hammer the pipes flat so that no or little water comes out and then just cap them after the flat bits with compression fittings. = No need to turn water off

Horses n courses and all that but it wasn't me that told you how to cheat if anyone asks ;)

4 - Close stopcock from header tank and temporarily fit a stopcock to the expansion pipe. Remove rad. Drain enough water from system until the water "hangs". Quickly cut pipes and fit compression stop ends.

Worked for me. I had to drain the system down below the tank just far enough to insert a stopcock, which is now permanently in place for any future work on the system.

Sponsored Links
No problem leaving them capped. Dead legs with air in them can cause noise problems, but these are drops.
A can of DIY freezer would cope with 2 15mms if they're cold when you start, and when you have valves on the ends of the pipes to test for the freeze, you avoid a nasty surprise.

ChrisR said:
A can of DIY freezer would cope with 2 15mms

Its only 10mm pipe so reduced pipe volume should not cause any probs.

Capping expansion pipe and plugging feed pipe is another way but that involes loft work. Might as well just buy the proper rubber bungs which you can re-use on other jobs. just remember to only work on one leg at a time.

No stopcocks or valve should be fitted to any vent pipe... if left accidentally closed you could have a problem! A little girl died in Taunton last week caused by a tank splitting in the loft... If doing this sort of drain down I put a 22mm speedfit stopend on the end of the vent pipe but REMOVE IT BEFORE RUNNING THE SYSTEM AGAIN! BE WARNED!!!

bought some 'witches hats' (bungs) and capped the pipes about a meter from the main 22mm branch.

cheers

little tip - always carry a plastic builders bag.you can do snatch jobs in the bag without water going everywhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back