Installing a Shower Tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a 800x800 quadrant shower tray, the flooring in my bathroom is tongue and groove boards. Can I grout the shower tray directly onto the floor boards, or will I need to replace that particular area of floor boards with something more sturdy like marine plyboard???

Sponsored Links
you need a firm base to fix the shower base to.

some say to cement it in place so you can get it level. i prefer to start with a level base (near as damn it) and silicone it in place.

if you place it on some ply just keep in mind you will be raising the height of the tray. (ok if your tiling)

you mentioned grout. only use grout for finishing of tiling.

dont forget an access point for the waste for future poss problems.

:D Sorry cement is what I meant! not grout lol

Thanks for the advice.

Good point about the ply raising the level of the floor! I was not planning on tiling the floor, so I will probably go with the cement or silicone method directly onto the existing flooring.

I just wanted to check with someone that it was ok to cement the base directly onto a tongue and groove timber floor. It is firm and pretty level.

I was planning on using a top access trap, is it still advisable to have some sort of access under the base as well? just in case!

top access waste/traps are good.
you dont have to have an access on show as such.

i've done a few bathrooms and folk like the floor tiling. thats fine i say but if the trap leaks in yers to come u'll have to acess it via the ceiling.

if u are not tiling then not to much of a problem.....mind you if u go for lino it will have to sit on hardboard (at least) and some fitters srayglue it down !!!

check the floorboards are ok to screw (no pipes/cables) and screw down at 250mm gaps (approx) so there is no movement at all.

fit the tray (after sorting ur waste pipe etc) up agaist the wall (some plumbers prefer to chop it in to the wall)

once the base is in place and ur happy silicone the tray to the wall, it forms a seal against water and helps secure it.

job done

ps...dont forget to bury the pipework to the shower first!!!!

Sponsored Links
:?: I have a shell of a house in deepest Cornwall that is only walls and a roof. At the stage now where designing layout of rooms. The only place to fit a shower is on an internal wall in the bathroom; this means that the waste pipe will have to run approx 7meters. What is the standard method of getting enough height to allow for drainage.

You should really start a new thread :rolleyes: Bugger the etiquette :LOL: You`ll need to work out your joists to run paralell with the waste to an outside wall/soil+vent pipe...in a way you`re lucky it can be planned in @ this stage ;)

Hello, what about useing Expanding Foam to bed the Shower Tray on instead of Mortar? Im sure I have read this somewhere, has anyone tried it? Im just about to fit a tray myself and would be intrested in useing the Foam if I could be sure its now an accepted method of going about the job, any ideas/opinions?
Steve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back