SOS!! Saunier Duval combi boiler - leaking water, no hot wat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I hope someone can help. I have a Saunier Duval combination boiler. There was no hot water or central heating this morning so when I checked it showed the pressure was low (below 0.5 bar), and there was no flame showing.

I released the pressure valve and put the pressure up to about 3 bar and tried turning the boiler off and on to see if the flame would re-appear, but no luck. There is a strange leak coming from the base of the boiler that only occurs when the boiler is on.

Is there anything anyone can suggest? I've read, but can't find, the bleed valve which I gather would empty the pressure? I don't actually know where to find the model number, but if there's any experts here they might be able to determine it from the front panel, which is simply a timer, pressure gauge and temperature setter on the lower left, and an on/off switch on the right.

We had the boiler serviced about 2 weeks ago. If we need to get an engineer out, will a receipt for this service cover us for any extra work if we need to call an engineer out?

Cheers if you can help me.

Sponsored Links
no wonder you ave a leak you are only meant to take the pressure up to 1 bar lmao

the PRV is opening when the boiler fires up and the water expands that wee bit get the service man back before you do yoursel an injury

before that try and get some of that pressure out of the boiler by bleedin a rad it takes a while mind

Cheers,

Excuse my ignorance, but what's a PRV? How exactly do I "bleed a rad"? I've left it off for a while today and its lost some of the pressure. Shall I leave it to go down to 1bar and then see if I can get a flame? Or is this an engineer only job?

A service is a very simple quick job which can be done by a pretty inexperienced person.

Your problem now is probably caused by you over pressurising the boiler.

Its likely to be an SD 620 or an SD 623.

This boiler is very prone to leaks and my general advice would be to replace it or get British Gas fault cover ( if they are stupid enough to cover it ! ).

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
A service is a very simple quick job which can be done by a pretty inexperienced person.

Your problem now is probably caused by you over pressurising the boiler.

Its likely to be an SD 620 or an SD 623.

This boiler is very prone to leaks and my general advice would be to replace it or get British Gas fault cover ( if they are stupid enough to cover it ! ).

Tony

Right, so is there nothing I can do? I'm only a tennent of the property and since we had to get an emergency engineer round to look at the boiler (and he ended up servicing it too) 2/3 weeks ago, I don't really want to tell my landlord its knackered again!

Would you recommend replacing it solely because its a notoriously bad boiler, or because the fault I've described sounds irrepairable?!

Cheers for the help so far gents

Its an old and an unreliable boiler in respect of leaks.

We do not attempt repairs on that model when its leaking because to do so and offer any guaranty we would have to replace £150 of parts and spend 3 hours.

I dont consider its worth spending any significant sum on an old and unreliable boiler like yours.

Now you tell us that you are renting then this question is for the Landlord as he will have to pay.

I am sure some sharky boiler repairer will be happy to rip off your landlord and charge him £300-£400 to fix it for a few days.

Your landlord will probably prefer to spend this amount of money because he is mean rather than spending £1400 on a nice new condensing boiler. He can easily spend £300 a year on your old boiler.

Tony Glazier

If it is an SD 623 there will be a lever for the summer/winter setting.
To the left there is a button which you have to press and hold to let the pilot gas through. Earlier versions I think had an ignitor button that you need to click a few times to light the pilot. Once the pilot is lit, hold the big button in for at least 20 seconds then slowly let go of it.

I don't really want to tell my landlord its knackered again!

Its not your fault its gone wrong. Telling the landlord the bad news is a dirty job but someones gotta do it. Otherwise you will be cold until you pluck up the courage.

I do not normally work on that model because its too problematic with its leaks!

Perhaps I have forgotten Slug, but I can only remember an electronic pilot ignition by pushing the white square button beside the red one which kills the pilot. There is a lovely arrangement of moving bits inside in a clear glass case at the back of those buttons. Pity the rest of the boiler is so aweful !

Tony

Replace pump (£150.00), reversing valve (£80.00), hose set (£25.00), arch kit (£15.00) +1/2 days labour.

Tenants deposit should cover it - after all they screwed it up. :LOL:

Currently have a customer with BG cover on a Theilia 623 - taken them over 5 months to repair the leaks - they keep trying to condem the thing to make that huge profit on a replacement boiler.

hi
can you help ?
i want to search for learning repair combi boiler. can you help me for find pdf or movies or any document ?
thaks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back