Flushing toilet causes prolonged vibration / noise in pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope someone can advise. I'm using this website for the first time. We have just moved into our first home.

I'll follow the format I have seen some others use:

1) Boiler

STRATA 38 wall mounted ultra high efficiency condensing boiler. The booklet says 'Model 38 boiler & the 38/46 Combi'

2) Problem

There are 3 toilets in the house (1 downstairs, one in main bathroom and one to the en-suite). When the toilet is flushed in the main bathroom, the pipes make a long , loud prolonged noise. When turning on the basin tap I noticed that the noise stops but as soon as I turn of the tap, the pipe vibrations/noise continues (in total when flushing the noise lasts for 30 seconds or so). Notably this happens from the main toilet when flushing but also when using the basin in the en-suite there is some noise although not as bad. A friend suggested bleeding all radiators, from upstairs, going downstairs (as the boiler is in the kitchen). I did this last night but hasn't made much difference. In the main bathroom, when flushing the toilet the loud noise from the pipes seems to be contained within that bathroom, can feel vibration under the floor.

We really need to address this quickly, I am obviously concerned. Prior to buying the house we had a plumber check this out, he must have just turned on a few taps and confirmed that there wasn't a problem. Flushing the toilet is causing this moreso. Before I call out another plumber, would appreciate your feedack and advice. Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
noise is most likely from a valve on the mains water or the pipe could be loose under the floor and vibrating under load......could be the toilet but i would try to move the mains stopcock fully open as a first guess as it may just be the blade inside it vibrating.....worth a try

A friend suggested bleeding all radiators, from upstairs, going downstairs
:eek:

i wonder why that didn't make a differance :rolleyes:

i'd go with above try the float valve first

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for your feedback, I will revert later in the week! V.

nickso said:
i would try to move the mains stopcock fully open

And then back one quarter turn so it doesn't seize in the open position.

weareleeds said:
May also be faulty ballcock or float valve on toilet
Likely culprit

nickso / box - thanks very much for the info.

I hope one of these options will rectify it...would I be able to email you at a person email address to understand things a little better (rather than bore others)! Thanks.

vverman said:
would I be able to email you at a person email address to understand things a little better (rather than bore others)! Thanks.

Feel free to keep it public...

... that way others can benefit from the info and add their own opinions/experiences.

n.b. im not a plumber but i had a very simmilar problem with my new toilet causing all the pipeing/boiler to vibrate very loudly.

the plumber eventually found a piece of grit from the new installation in the toilet mechanism which was causing tap slam or water hammer or what ever he called it. good news it was very easy to fix!

tomtom, Great tip, thanks very much. What I’ll do is shut the stop valve to the toilet in question and then give it a flush to see if the noise persists. If it doesn’t, I believe this indicates that the ballcock (fill valve) is faulty and then I will need to replace this. This is according to the replies I have received so far and from further searches for information on-line. If there is any such grit visible I’ll now clean this up and open up the stop valve and try flushing again to see if the pipes start vibrating and humming again. If they do, then I hope it’s just the ballcock / fill valve.

If I do need to replace the ballcock / fillvalve, can anyone suggest the best place to buy these? From what I’ve read it’s important to get exactly the same make/type (apparently it should stated on the fill valve itself). I would probably try Wickes / B&Q…if someone suggests another large store is better choice first off, please advise.

Thanks again.

Try a proper plumbers merchant as opposed to a shed. They will be able to give you good advice.

Getting an exact match doesn't matter all that much. Just make sure that if it's a side entry you get side entry, bottom entry ditto.

Box, thanks for the reply. Based on the above comments, should I purchase both a ‘ballcock’ and ‘float valve’ (or are they part of the same thing?). I’m getting a little confused with the terminology.

Is ‘float-valve’ the same as ‘fill valve’?

Isn’t ballcock just another way of referring to the ‘fill valve’?

Perhaps I’m confusing myself …based on the problem I’ve mentioned and the advice given by others please confirm which part(s) I should be purchasing…

Thank you again.

always go for the ballcock first water inlet gear turn off supply of water dismantle it and clean reassemble put water back on if still there replace it easy and cheap to do

Just get the caretaker, maintenance, Gardener to change or service the plastic ballvalve and the problem will be no more. :rolleyes:

ditto doitall,just disassemble the inlet valve,clean and reassemble ,often if there has been any work on the mains in the street it can cause sand to enter and cause minor problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back