Removing ceramic tile adhesive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had to remove some ceramic wall tiles off my bathroom wall to repair the wall. They all came off fairly easily and in tact with most of the adhesive glue remaining on the back of the tiles.
I now want to replace the existing tiles but cannot remove the tile adhesive. The adhesive is so hard it is impossible to chisel off (and possibly crack the tile)and I have even tried sanding the adhesive off but no good.
Can anyone please suggest what I can use or do the remove the old adhesive. :(

Sponsored Links
Try a hot air gun. This softens the adhesive quite nicely, and you can then scrape it off with a paint scraper.

A good soaking in a bucket of water often softens the adhesive, a wallpaper steam stripper is another way that may work.

Sponsored Links
I placed the removed tile in a plastic storage box, placed a wallpaper steam stripper over the tile cement surface, left for a couple of minutes, and a scraper, to remove softened cement, cleaned off a treat.

Thanks David and Julie for the tip.
===================================
Please read the forum rules

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back