DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Preparing Walls for Painting

This topic originated from the How to page called Preparing Walls and Ceilings
Click here to return to the page called Preparing Walls and Ceilings.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Decorating and Painting
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
markwilliam

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quote

I hired a professional decorator to strip, prepare and paint a number of rooms in my house. The quote states "strip old paper from walls and prepare surfaces to receive emulsion paint." The rooms have been stripped and now I'm told that the "preparation" will require lining paper that is not included in the quote. As the wall were previously papered and this is a professional decorator, I'm now surprised that "preparation" doesnt include lining paper. Am I being taken for a ride here? [/quote]
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Third_Eye

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:08 pm Reply with quote

Errrmmmmmmm...........

With the wording of the, "strip old paper from walls and prepare surfaces to receive emulsion paint."

I would say you have a good argument. As it states, " PREPARE surfaces to recieve emulsion paint".
 Alert Moderators
FredFlintstone

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:59 pm Reply with quote

But is the quote for labour only or is the P&D supplying the emulsion? Does it say anywhere on the quote labour only?

Perhaps they should have made it clearer at the start but "prepare" walls may just mean the labour for hanging the lining paper?

How much will the lining paper cost, how much was the quote and how long will the job take from start to finish?

Personally I'm not convinced that you're being taken for a ride but I do think it should have been made clear from the start exactly what materials and in what quantities you were expected to provide.

In any event, the walls will require lining. Aside from the "smooth" factor, if they're not lined the residues of the old paste will eventually eat through the new emulsion and cause it to craze or crack. I don't know why it does it but I just know from experience that it does.

Regards

Fred
 Alert Moderators
markwilliam

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:02 am Reply with quote

The quote stated all labour and materials included. What constitutes "prepare" is the central issue. At the end of the day, I am relying on the professional decorator to create a high quality and durable result based on the quoted price. If this is achieve by lining the walls or careful filling of cracks and holes, do I really care. Based on Fred's comments, maybe I do.....
 Alert Moderators
Growler

from Antarctica

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:31 am Reply with quote

Tricky one this.
A similar thing happened to me 27 years ago, I quoted to strip and then re-paper (shortened version) when I stripped it I advised him that it needed lining, he said he thought the quote included lining, it never got fully resolved so now...I always give a separate quote for lining and let them decide.

back to your prob.. If I had been asked to do this, I would never have thought of just painting the walls without lining , as lining is pretty obvious in this situ. However, he/she never used the words lining paper.

Bit of a legal one this so....get a quote off the decorator for lining and try and fraction it out with your original quote and it should give you a rough idea of whether the decorator did or didn't originally quote for this.
This might not help you but you could always come back here with some figures and see if we can work it out.
 Alert Moderators
markwilliam

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:42 am Reply with quote

Growler...thanks for the comments -- original quote for the room is 2,600 -- proposed variation for lining is 190 for ceiling and 380 for walls -- total variation 570 => 22% uplift --- so what is "fractioning out?"
 Alert Moderators
FredFlintstone

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:22 am Reply with quote

markwilliam wrote:
Growler...thanks for the comments -- original quote for the room is 2,600 -- proposed variation for lining is 190 for ceiling and 380 for walls -- total variation 570 => 22% uplift --- so what is "fractioning out?"

For one room?

Jeez! And 570 for lining! Again, one room?

If that really i just for one room personally I'd tell him to stuff it. Find out how much he charges for a day and just pay him for the days he's done and tell him to get lost!
 Alert Moderators
Third_Eye

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:31 pm Reply with quote

As i said, hehe.................

Third_Eye wrote:
Errrmmmmmmm...........

With the wording of the, "strip old paper from walls and prepare surfaces to receive emulsion paint."

I would say you have a good argument. As it states, " PREPARE surfaces to recieve emulsion paint".
 Alert Moderators
joe-90

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:49 pm Reply with quote

The guys a rip off merchant - show him the door. Pay him a hundred quid for each day he's spent so far.
 Alert Moderators
Growler

from Antarctica

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:20 pm Reply with quote

Third_Eye wrote:
As i said, hehe.................

Third_Eye wrote:
Errrmmmmmmm...........

A good argument is all it is though, because it could be said...if the decorator priced for the lining he/she would have said.... "strip old paper from walls and prepare surfaces for lining paper, to receive emulsion paint, but as lining paper has never been mentioned by the decorator or customer, then it could be assumed that it was never priced for in the original quote.
 Alert Moderators
Third_Eye

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:57 pm Reply with quote

I know what you are saying "Growler".............

However, the same argument could be taken into that the sentence in question does'nt mention 'filler' etc......

The way i see it is the answer will be in the Materials required for the Job within the written estimate.
 Alert Moderators
Growler

from Antarctica

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:51 pm Reply with quote

"Strip old paper from walls and prepare surfaces to receive emulsion paint."

What if the plaster dropped off during stripping.
 Alert Moderators
duckegg

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:12 pm Reply with quote

markwilliam wrote:

For that kind of money you could get the walls & ceiling skimmed and have better finish!
 Alert Moderators
Third_Eye

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quote

Growler wrote:
"Strip old paper from walls and prepare surfaces to receive emulsion paint."

What if the plaster dropped off during stripping.

Ermmmm........

An Painter & Decorator aint an Plasterer.

Therefore, the situation you mentioned sorts itself out.

Client has to get Plasterer in.

However, i personally can Plaster aswell but this in no way means that i would include Plastering.

Therefore, this gives me personally an option to write on estimates "Once Wallpaper has been stripped and it is in my opinion the surface(s) in question needs to be plastered or lined, then added costs for materials & labour will be added to the estimate"
 Alert Moderators
Growler

from Antarctica

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:11 am Reply with quote

Yeah right

You're estimates must be as thick as a barristers hips pack. icon_lol.gif

I've plastered in the past for free , just to keep the peace. In fact I don't think i've ever done a job where I haven't done more than I originally estimated for.

This is obviously a badly worded estimate that's caused the confusion with no mention of lining paper from either party.

Has the original poster "markwilliam" managed to get any satisfaction?
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Decorating and Painting All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: