Vaillant combi boiler...pressure gauge at 3 bar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed yesterday that the pressure gauge on my boiler was beyond the red mark at 3 bar. I have an engineer coming out tomorrow but is there anything I can do in the meantime to get the pressure down?
I turned the pressure release knob underneath the boiler and the pressure does go down but it soon builds back up to 3 bar again.
Also bled every radiator in the house, but it's still at 3 bar
I've shut it down completely as I daren't use it as it is at the moment and the house is freezing!
Happy Christmas ;)

Sponsored Links
The over prerssure will not stop the boiler from working in the short term.

The filling loop is probably left open. You should try to close this ASAP.

As you probably left it open yourself when trying to fill the system then reverse whatever yuo did or look at the FAQ on this site.

Tony

As Tony said, make sure filling loop is off completely, then find a drain point on one of the radiators or under the boiler and drain off some water into a bucket until pressure is down to around 1.5 bar.

This post is just over one year old, but I have a very similar situation. Its New Years eve, so getting hold of a plumber is impossible !! Any help would be much appreciated...

We have a Vaillant ecoTEC 637 boiler (less than 4 months old). After being away for a while, we had the boiler turned off, when we returned today and turned it back on I looked at the pressure and it was well below 1 bar, so I added some pressure from the filling loop (I was very careful to turn this off once filled and I have double and triple checked the filling loop is off)

However it looks like it was just not up to temp yet which is why it was low and now I have added to much pressure as it is now up at 3.1 bar and showing no sign of dropping many hours later.

I'm no expert in this, but have been reading what I can about this model boiler - am I right in understanding the built in "pressure release valve" is automatically operated by the boiler when it detects its too highly pressurized? It doesn't seem to be doing this.

Alternatively do I need to operate this "pressure release valve" myself? I can't for the life of me see where it is though!

Any help much, much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Drain some water out of the system via a convenient drain cock, then call Agile from his profile.

He is always telling us that he comes out straight away for any faults ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back