Wooden frames and failed double glazed units

Daf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a house that has hardwood windows/ door frames that contain double glazed units. At least 30 of them have failed with moisture found on the inside of the glass. I'll have to get the lot replaced as the windows have a fake diamond leaded pattern which will prove difficult to match up and the exercise will prove to be pointless as I expect the remainder will fail in time.

I've approached a couple of Double Glazing companies to ask for quotes for the units and an installation price and as soon as I mention wooden frames the interest seems to subside.

(1) Should I approach a carpenter instead to ask him to carry out the work? If he produces a list of measurements I can then get some quotes for the units?

(2) How much damage will there be to the frames? There seems to be quite a thick layer of sealant/gunk between the glass and wood (at least 1mm) so I expect scraping this off may cause some problems.

(3) If the life expectancy of a DG unit is only 20 years then why should I bother putting back double glazing? Why not put a single galzed pane of glass back instead? I could use the money I save on paying the difference in heating costs? :D

(4) Should I just get a quote for UPVC frames and windows and rip out the hardwood frames?

Please help as I'm losing the will to live over this! :D

Sponsored Links
At least 30 :eek: how many windows have you got then. :?: Unless it's a listed building or a house/cottage/period property where UPVC would look totally out of character, I would go for quality UPVC frames every time; but yuk to fake Georgian or leads! Sorry if this upsets the ‘wood is good’ guys again but it’s just my opinion & I really don’t want to get into an argument about it! ;)

At least 30 :eek: how many windows have you got then. :?: Unless it's a listed building or a house/cottage/period property where UPVC would look totally out of character, I would go for quality UPVC frames every time; but yuk to fake Georgian or leads! Sorry if this upsets the ‘wood is good’ guys again but it’s just my opinion & I really don’t want to get into an argument about it! ;)

18 windows that have around 50 units (for example one of the bays has six panes of glass or the french doors have 4 panes).

I'd just feel that it would be such a waste to remove all those hardwood window frames. They are all in excellent condition.

I agree about the fake diamond patterened lead but I'm a bit concerned that changing all the windows to plain glass would make the hose loose some charcter. Maybe I'll could go from a diamond to a square shape that sits inside the window. I've seen some brass/ gold ones that are quite effective.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back