peashingle

Sponsored Links
No not really, I just hate the scum who do things like that. Makes my blood boil. You look at things differently when you have 2 teenage daughters.

Sorry if i sounded a little weird. I know its only in jest, But unfortunately my sense of humour doesn't go that low.

Ok, best I put a stop to the gentle ribbing - not least as this one will get locked by the mods if we wander too far off thread ;)

Has anyone heard from or seen FNT of late in the forum, this would be right up his street (the rendering, not the chatroom :LOL:)...

Reply to original question:

Depending on how bad the original render is would depend on how to attack the problem. If it is loose, sounds hollow when tapped then it will have to come off.

If it is quite solid just loose pebbles then you can remove all the loose pebbles and give the render a good hose down. Next you need to apply your bellcasts, corner beads and so on.

You then need to apply a scratch coat. I always use 4:1:1 consisting of 4:1:1 (Sand. Hydrated lime Cement) Some people say there is no need to put a waterproofer in the scratch but i always do if i am dashing as it prevents the second coat going off too quickly giving you a little more time to rule off.

Apply first coat not too thickly and rule off with your feather edge. Give it a score with your devling float or scratch comb. wash off tools get to the pub and have a few pints.

Day2:

Hose down wall and let excess water run off whilst you knock up your gear. Apply second coat consisting of 5:1:1 (Sand. Hydrated lime Cement) apply your second coat forming your drip beads and features above windows . Rule off and while you are doing this your labourer would have washed off you derby spur or watever else you have decided to use and he will be stood behind you with the hurling trowel.

Now the end result is all down to wrist action, Be prepared for a sore wrist if you havent done this before.

This is a very basic explanation on how to do it. If you are 100% insistent on having a go, then i will explain a little better for you.

picture 1 shows scratch coat

scratch.jpg

Picture 2 showing top coat

This finish isnt dashed but rubbed up with a polly float and then sponged finish. No pebbles applied

wall3.jpg

Sponsored Links
why thank you,how do you add the pebbles?some one told me you just throw them at the wall,someone else said you can get a machine to do it,thanks

Once you have applied your second coat, you use a hurling trowel.

its like a scoop and gives you more force when used, than simply throwing a hand full at the wall.

The machine applied spatter is called tyrolean. It isnt stones but a mix spattered on to the wall to give the desired texture. Make sure you mask off windows, drain pipes and the path bellow.

Good luck if you do have a go. If it doesnt look too good, scrape it off and call in the boys to do it for you.

Oh forgot to mention, Make sure you throw the spur at 45 degrees to the wall. Dont stand straight in front and wizz great buckets full at it.

same with the tyrolean, walk up and down from different angles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back