Using POSTCRETE in a dry mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some patio slabs to lay after completing some decking.

I intend to use the dry mix method. I have a couple of bags of POSTCRETE left over from the decking project and wondered, given how quickly POSTCRETE sets when water is added, if it would be possible to use the POSTCRETE in the dry mix instead of normal concrete.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm not a pro and only a diy'er but it seems to me that you're mixing up two differnt things: a) postcrete which will contain cement and ballast (sand/gravel aggrs) b) cement - which you would add to sharp/builders sand to create the mortar to lay paving.

If you use the postcrete as a subsitute for cement then you will be creating a weaker mix, since aggregates are already mixed in with the cement. Then you'd be adding more.

Having said that, the odd slab using that postcrete stuff straight from the bag I wouldn't have thought would do any harm?

Thanks for the reply. I had assumed POSTCRETE contained some form of ballast etc. although it's not obvious from looking. I'm using the one from Wickes which I recall reading somewhere has a low aggregate content.

As I have the bags over it seems a shame to waste them, hence my question. I did wonder about using the POSTCRETE neat for a couple of half slab infills which won't get much traffic. Perhaps I'll give it a try, will probably have to bed the slab properly then lift it gently in order to apply water to the POSTCRETE.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back