Minimum ceiling height regs???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me if there is a minimum floor to ceiling building regs requirement? I think there must be.

Problem: We're looking at bringing up the floor level in a 36' long garage to the same as that of the rest of the ground floor, to create a dining area off the back of the house, with utility room and cloakroom behind this (going forward towards the front of the property).

However, the garage has a flat roof, which we would rather not have to raise. So if the floor is raised, the ceiling height will be lessened. Also have to consider downlighting needs at the same time, obviously.

I don't know what the min height has to be.

Is anyone able to help - please?

Thanks in advance,
MM

Sponsored Links
Cheers JB. I've been scuffing the web all afternoon (now lost the will to live...), and it would appear that this is the case. It does seem to matter where a stairwell is concerned, but not in my case.

Thanks again for the response.
MM

I think there may be a recommneded minimum (2.4m) but no actual regulation.

My old extension had a breakfast room with a ceiling at 2.25m and that passed.

Sponsored Links
No minimum, only over stairs and landings top and bottom over a length and width equal to the width of the stair. Theoretically you could go up the stairs, onto a landing and have to roll into the space thereafter.

Part M requires sockets at minimum 450 above floor level, so theres a guide to just how low the ceiling could be if there are sockets present

But if you have a window then means of escape require a minimum cill height of 800mm, and a minimum opening height of 450mm - so add the frame and cill etc and then the ceiling would need to be about 1350 off the floor

:cool:

I don’t believe there is a minimum for residential; I was heavily involved in industrial installations for the Post Office & we always used to work on a minimum clear head room of 2150mm everywhere. That may well be the same as the BR requirement over stairs, the idea being that tall folks don’t crack their head & knock themselves out; I’ve actually seen it happen!

Part M requires sockets at minimum 450 above floor level, so theres a guide to just how low the ceiling could be if there are sockets present

But if you have a window then means of escape require a minimum cill height of 800mm, and a minimum opening height of 450mm - so add the frame and cill etc and then the ceiling would need to be about 1350 off the floor

:cool:
:LOL: trust you! And escape window is min 600 in a loft space, so that would bring it down to 1050 plus your add-ons :LOL:

There is a minimum quoted somewhere for a habitable room/building but I seem to remember its not where you would expect to find it. I will try to find it.

Various local authority planning guidelines specify as follows :-

"Each room should have a minimum average ceiling height of 2.15m."
(which ties up with the figure quoted by Richard C)

and

"All rooms should have a minimum ceiling height of 2.15m over 50% of the area of the room."

Although I have seen some that state 75% instead of 50%

This particular extract is in reference to flat conversions but I have been told previously that it is quoted in some official document, possibly something to do with environmental health etc.

I don't think there is a height anywhere in the regs, as IIRC, the requirement was removed many years ago.

If it comes to it, then the BCO can decide what is acceptable and as a guide, he can refer to the Housing Act 1985. This Act deals with rental and multiple occupancy properties and particularly with fitness for use. I don't recall if an actual dimension is stated (unlikely) but probably determined via case law and is commonly stated as being 2.14m which is the old 7'.

Local Authorities publish guidance for rented properties and set their policy in these. Some mention 2.3 (7'6") as the requirement, but most state 2.14. So this is an accepted standard which can be referred to for ceiling heights

Practically though, the minimum height likely to be accepted is that of the door frame leading into the room which is commonly 2050mm

There are dozens of standards that quote ceiling heights (Parker Morris, Housing Corporation, NHBC, etc.) but none of them are regulations. Just desired standards.

Under the code of measuring practice anything under 1.5m is not counted as floor space - e.g. in sloping roof room. So I'd keep it above 1.5m if I were you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back