Door lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to install a fingerprint operated door lock into a European door that previously had a much longer lock inside of it. The result is that the cutout is so long that there is nothing to screw the newer, much shorter faceplate onto! There's just void.

The lock I am trying to install is the iTouchless fingerprint lock, to be found all over Google.

Any ideas?!?!

Sponsored Links
1) fix it in a different part of the door

2) glue a well-fitted wooden block into the hole in the door first

you may find it neat to put a substantial metal finger-plate in stainless or brass on the door over the holes for the old lock. As well as looking neat it adds strength if you put one on each side and bolt them together through the door (coach bolts or allthreads so nothing to turn on the outside)

p.s. that new baby lock doesn't look very strong, I presume this is not a front door that needs a BS lock to protect insured possessions?

Thanks a lot for your answer. I will try the route of glueing in a bit of wood.

What do you mean baby lock? Do you mean it looks like a toy lock?

Sponsored Links
I'd say this is only suitable for internal use, and not for external doors. As for replacing a mortice lock with a latch - I'd suggest leaving the mortice lock in place and fitting the new latch in a higher position. If required, the latch and bolt could be disabled on the mortice lock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back