supplementary bonding after new consumer unit fitted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been to look at a board change and it needs supplementary bonding in bathroom (and is no airing cupboard near by), the problem is the bathroom has been recently decorated, could I do the board change (as the installation would be in a safer condition than when I found it) and record it on the cert or is it regs that is has to be done?

Obviously I want to do it but customer doesn't want me to go ahead.

Many thanks Katron

Sponsored Links
'cmon - take a deep breath, hold it for 30s while you reflect on the fact that you actually do know the answer to your question, and then exhale.

i was at college today doing my 17th edition and the tutor was saying if you protect all the circuits in your bathroom by a RCD you dont need supplementary bonding

Oh poo - yes, of course you can. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Main bonding has to be in place for that solution.

Sponsored Links
BAS could you explain this for me please.

REG 411.3.1.2
regarding a part to be considered for supp bonding to be omitted.

bonding to 1 water
gas
other installation pipework
central heating and air con
exposed metallic structual parts

I don't fully understand the central heating.......if you have a rad in there do you need supp bonding, or if its gas central heating will that be ok because tme main gas is earthed?

Sorry for being dim i would like to get my head round it...

Many apologies

and this reg too

this is what the tutor was trying to say i might have understood it wrong

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back