Old guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, sorry this is my first post but this is an emergency. My parents have an old house built 1890, this has sandstone guttering flashed with lead. Since I can remember this has been a problem. I've finally got round to getting my dad to sort this out but he wants to do it himself as he does not trust builders. I've looked at the information in the wickes advice sheet 22 and also calders lead technical sheet. I intend to use code 5 for this as I don't know whats up there, the information I need is

How far the roof should I go? I figure I'll have to remove about 2 rows of tiles to do this.

What sort of overlap should I have at the edge of the guttering (outside edge).

Does the lead have to be fixed to the edge of the sandstone? Or just left.

What width should I use? i'm currently looking at 600mm. I know the roll has to be cut into 2000mm sections to allow for expansion.

Thanks in advance for any help provided

Sponsored Links
how do you intend dealing with the joints or laps on the lead gutter runs?

1.5m is the maximum length.

are you skilled at leadwork - bossing, welding etc?

I find it incredible that you can post that you do not trust builders but are quite happy to take our free advice.

Sponsored Links
WMS, if you take the time to read information provided rather than try to nit pick you will see that I have said that my dad does not trust builders not me, I would rather have a skilled crafts person carry out the work, however I would be concerned if some one of your standard came to the house as there is nowhere for you to tie your horse up!!!!!

The emergency is the fact that my dad is going to try to carry the work out in the very near future rather than wait for advice.

Please excuse me for bothering you all I'll ensure I wont do it again

Noseall, thanks for the constructive reply

Well you really are the clever one . able to summarize from one post that we are cowboys .well son you couldn't be further from the truth if you went to the moon. we will gladly give advise on several subjects if you had bothered to read any of our previous posts. but we will only give advise on courteous requests. and starting a post with either you, or your father does not trust builders. does not give us any incentive to post on how it should be done, and the joke is I know the answer. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back