Moving kitchen window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a window in our kitchen 1800 x 1200 which we would like to lower by maybe two courses of bricks. It was above a sink but now is on a blank wall.

The first idea was to replace it with french windows, but it wouldn't be in a good position for everyday access so we need to would keep the existing door as well. This seemed a good idea until we realised that we would have no opening light for ventilation - it would be open the doors or nothing. This is an 90's extension with about 7' 6" height, so no space for a light over the door.

The next plan is to keep the window and lower it by about two bricks. If we did this would we need a new lintel (there is an existing steel one at the original height) or could the bricks be placed standing vertically above the frame and held by their mortar? - this seems to be what has been done over the back door. A friend who knows a little about building suggested this would be ok but I'm not so sure. I would add that we plan to have a substantial wooden frame not upvc.

I would imagine that we'll get a small builder to help but some advice as to what is possible (and sensible) would be helpful.

Do alterations like this need to involve BCO other than the FENSA aspect?

Sponsored Links
if you remove the lintel then this becomes structual and you would need to notify the local BC, do not brick up on top of frame they are not designed to carry any weight the best course of action would be to support the brickwork above with acrows either needling through or with strong boys and lower the lintel to the required height.

you mentioned french doors not being suitable have you considered a full height door but with a full height frame at the side with a opening window in that. you could satisfy ventilation that you require and if you wanted remove the other door. only a thought.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back